Retina Favicons for Gmail in Google Apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dehory, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dehory, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

dehory macrumors regular

One of the most niggling (while obviously trifling) retina incompatibilities for me since getting my rMBP has been the eff-ing blurry favicon in Google Apps Gmail. While the standard Gmail's favicon received the retina treatment a while ago, Google Apps's has remained a shameful smudge in my tab bar.

There's now a Greasemonkey script that, as an added bonus, also switches the favicon to let you know when you've got unread emails (and how many there are), as well as when you've got Gchat IMs. The script gets applied to both standard and Google Apps Gmail.

Instructions for Chrome

1) Download this text file.
    2) Rename it "24430.user.js". (That's just the filename of the original script. You can use anything instead of those numbers, but it needs to end in "user.js".)
    3) Open the extensions manager in Chrome (chrome://extensions/) and drag the renamed file into it.

DISCLAIMER: This is a user modified version of Gmail Favicon Alerts 3, a well-established Greasemonkey script. I've compared this vs the original line-by-line in Kaleidoscope to make sure it's not doing anything nasty, and as far as I can tell (with my rudimentary JS knowledge), everything looks perfectly good -- all that's different is switching out 16x16 favicons for 32x32 and increasing the resolution of the script's clever unread message icon pixel mapping. However, I take no responsibility if it turns out to mess up your lovely new computer. (Though I'd be awfully sad if it did, since that would mean that mine would be messed up too.)

Note: I'm posting this in the MBP forum because rMBP users are the only ones who'll care about this script. If the powers that be deem that the thread belongs in another forum, that would be just dandy with me.

2. 5thwall macrumors newbie

I tried this and unfortunately, it's not working for me. I am, however, running the dev version of Chrome. I'll try standard chrome and see how it runs.

3. den4ps macrumors newbie

just found this and it worked great on Chrome 33. Thanks for the tip!

4. dehory thread starter macrumors regular

Hm. I'm still not seeing retina favicons enabled by default in Google Apps.

The user script is updated to 3.13.