Retina first generation vs latest generation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rebelo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. rebelo macrumors newbie

Hello, guys. This is my first post here. I know it's a tough question to assert properly, but I'm looking for opinions from Macbook Pro Retina users who switched from a first generation model to the current generation. I have a 15'' MBr that I bought right after Apple launched it, in mid-2012. Has anyone in this situation thinking of getting the mid-2014?

Thanks for any input/opinion.
    Rebêlo.

2. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

you'd be getting better battery life w/ haswell, a faster pci-e ssd, thunderbolt 2, wireless ac….. a considerably faster igpu and somewhat faster discrete gpu w/ 2gb vram if you opt for it….

that said i'd say take a deep breath and wait for broadwell, it will surely be a sweet piece of kit.

3. nudoru macrumors regular

I used one of the first ones for a while and was really turned off by the sluggishness of the UI. So much so, that I preferred using my non-Retina 2011 over it. I just got a new 2014 model and the UI is much improved - so fluid.

If you can, I'd wait for the next refresh.

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

Don't upgrade now. Apple should be releasing their new MacBooks (not refreshed) soon, probably near the end of 2014.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It's looking more like mid-2015 at this point. Intel isn't releasing broadwell until around then, as the timelines seem to indicate.

If you can wait, then that's great. Broadwell will be better than Haswell. However, if you can't wait, I'd recommend getting one now.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I would wait, I don't think the performance gap is large enough to justify upgrading. The CPU isn't dramatically faster, and even the older SATA SSDs are extremely fast. You can even add the wireless AC to yours for <$100 if you really want.

7. hed1117 macrumors newbie

hed1117

Hello, can you direct me to more info and/or a source for the wireless AC with which I might upgrade my 2012 RMBP.

Thanks,
    Howard

8. leman macrumors 604

The software has improved ;) The difference in hardware is way too negligible to explain the perceived chance in fluidity. My 2012 rMBP is absolutely fluid on OS X 10.10

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Look for a Broadcom BCM94360CSAX. It's the wifi card found in the newer MacBook pros, and it's a direct swap for the n cards. You can usually find them for around $70 shipped from Chinese sources.

10. hed1117 macrumors newbie

hed1117

Thanks for the info!

Thank you both, terraphantm + leman, for your quick and informative replies :)

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I upgraded from a 2012 to 2014, honestly the difference isn't earth shattering.

I upgraded because a 2 year old machine with a year of warranty remaining is easy to sell.

12. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I initially purchased a 2014 rMBP and then returned it because I found a 2012 for a sweet deal on CL. I can't tell the difference in speed (fast models). There are some minor upgrades from 2012 but I don't think it's worth the money. I would wait until next year.

13. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

First gen rMBP did have slightly sluggish UI but it was software related, not hardware.
    With Mavericks and Yosemite it will be silky smooth.

I would say wait for Broadwell.

I have a top end Haswell rMBP and love it, battery life and performance are exceptional. But while definitely better it's not worth the upgrade, actual performance isn't that different between the two. The 650M and 750M are the same chip, just the 750M has double the VRAM (nice but not vital) and is clocked a tiny bit higher.
    Most of the differences are things like battery life, which is much better. WiFi ac. Much better iGPU.

Personally I've been itching to get my hands on. Broadwell/Maxwell rMBP for months now, I'll be upgrading the day it goes on sale, which hopefully should be no later than Q1 2015.

14. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

my first gen 2012 is sluggish on 10.10.

However it may seem like that because I use a 13" air as my main work machine and the rMBP at home only.

The rMBP UI lag is really noticeable.