Retina for Design Verdict

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Feb 21, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I've scoured a multitude of threads on this issue and encountered a litany of opinions. Does designing (for, say, the web) on the Retina display have a definite advantage or is it a pain in the arse? I would imagine for print, the Retina screen would even surpass an external montior given its pixel density. For iOS apps it would be superb too. Is this true? Would a 15" Retina put a cMBP 13" to shame on the design front?

2. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

All I can say is that the future is Retina + SSD. That's my biased opinion, though.
    I don't think you'd regret making the upgrade.

3. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

High density displays are on the rapid rise, they'll be here to stay that is for sure.
    Getting a device that uses the same technology as the device app you're designing for seems like a bit of a no brainer, especially when it comes to the display, which is all people really see, the programming is behind the scenes.

The rMBP's are fabulous machines. I'd wait until the next Keynote however, it can't be that far away and though I doubt that the MBP will be touched, but one never knows. I can safety vouch that if you do upgrade you won't regret it, I've fallen in love with this machine, I thought I'd never purchase anything new technologically because of the depreciation, but this latest version of MBP is worth it.

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you ever say the screen is a liability in the design sphere, given the masses don't possess HiDPI screens?

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Buy one and let us know:)

6. shadow82x macrumors 6502

In terms of web page design, the colors definitely look a lot more accurate then a normal display. That's a plus right? Don't see what real negative effect a high DPI display would have on web design. If anything it will help you prepare designs + images that look sharp for the future.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It's more work developing for Retina displays on the web, but it's not a pain. When IE8 and IE9 die already it will get easier (but, web developing and websites in general will get a million times better when they die too.).

8. shadow82x macrumors 6502

How is it more work on a Retina display? o.0

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I was skeptical about the r!MBP I didn't think 13" would cut it, and was going to buy the 15" maxed out. My Apple sales rep convinced me to try the 13" and all I can say is that it blew me away.

I seldom switch resolutions, and it's a pin sharp easy to read display. 11 months in and I wouldn't use anything else...I came from a 17" cMBP:)

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

To save bandwidth, usually you have a Retina image and a non-Retina image and you have to write more code for switching the images on-the-fly. Also do to older IE versions sucking, sometimes systems that are needed for Retina sites are really hard to have working smoothly and/or being ignored correctly by IE.

11. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Well considering most screens in the future will be High DPI, its not doing this to please the RMBP crowd.

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Huh? What is "it"?

Also a big reason for adding Retina support to a site is for iOS devices as they have a much bigger marketshare over rMBPs.