retina for Windows - MSOffice development possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colibri, Jan 2, 2013.

1. colibri macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm a windows user doing a lot of development work in MS Excel-VBA.
    Because of the display I really would like to switch to the 13" retina MBP to do my daily work (using Parallels 8 and win 7 /8), but my question is whether it's really possible/advisable to work with Windows- MS Office 2010 on a retina machine? Does Excel (charts,forms...) behave well on the retina or would I run into too many formatting/display issues?
    Does anybody have experience on this?

Greetings

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

All I remember from my Retina (before I returned it) was horrible MSoffice support.
    It was readable, but really disgusting.

3. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I only use word and PowerPoint but it works well. They updated it so it is retina optimized a while ago, everything looks nice to me.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

That's was for the Mac version of Office, the OP is talking about running the Windows version through Parallels.

5. lancdoc macrumors newbie

Office 10 Using Parallels

I am very new to the MacOs platform and chose to use office 10 using parallels. I needed to make some adjustments in setup for font size, otherwise I find it quite serviceable. As I become more comfortable, I will probably migrate over to Office for Mac, but the crippled Outlook program was a real drawback.

6. exomoons macrumors newbie

The Office 2013 edition works fine in Windows bootcamp.

7. scenox, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

scenox macrumors member

Excel 2013 also works with Parallels 8 very well, I use it from time to time on my rMBP 15", I've seen no formatting issues with charts, also no blurry icons or anything like this (resolution is 1920x1200 HiDPI)

8. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

I got MS Office for Mac 2011 on my rMPB, and it's excellent. It has been optimised for Retina.

Check with your employer, I got it for £9 through work. I had to download it, though.

9. colibri thread starter macrumors newbie