Retina freak out...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shigatashway, Apr 29, 2013.

1. shigatashway macrumors member

My brand-spanking-new-retina as of 15 days ago just decided to take a dump this morning. I had booted it up before work, closed the lid, put it in the laptop bag, and when I woke it up i was introduced to a series of graphical glitches - portions of the screen looked like nothing more than digital noise. I decide to restart it, and the entire screen turns into digital noise, and it stays that way for about 2 minutes before it actually shuts down.

Now, I am unable to access any applications that are bundled with OS X or installed through the App store. They crash immediately. Finder looks as though it isn't even initializing correctly, as the top task bar never loads fully (i.e. wifi icon, clock, spotlight, etc.)

Can anyone pleeeeease give me insight into what the hell is happening here? I'm running a hardware test at present, but I am seriously freaked out as I JUST passed the 14 day return window this morning :(

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you have an Apple Store near you, make an appointment and take it in.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder if the computer actually went into hibernation when you closed the lid and put it in the case, that is it was still running and overheating.

I think having an apple genius take a look at it, is sound advice.

4. shigatashway, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

It didn't feel any warmer than it should have when I pulled it out - not that I was paying attention to it when that happened. But I definitely would have noticed the fans blaring upon start-up - which wasn't happening.

I've got an appointment set in an hour, I'll update with what happens...

*UPDATE* - Apple Hardware Test found no problems.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

6. shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

According to the genius, something has gone awry with OS X and it should be solved by reinstalling OS X....

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me as the machine is so new....

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Your 14 day return period doesn't matter. If it's broken you're within the warranty period and they will fix it.

8. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Don't worry too much, its most probably a corrupted installation of OSX from the factory. It happens. Just do a reinstall of the OS. If there is still a problem then there is most likely a hardware issue. Make sure the Apple store has a record of when you have brought the machine in the first time.

9. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

What is "digital noise"?..... Nevermind, I just looked it up after I read the thread.

10. siamchen macrumors newbie

siamchen

Sounds like some connection issues between LCD panel and motherboard. The defected part will show their habits after you hopping with your lovely MBP.

11. shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

Reinstalling mountain lion through the recovery partition seems to have returned things back to normal. I'm still extremely confused as to what could have caused it (as whatever happened is something I'd like to avoid in the future).

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, I've not come seen an issue where you're getting problems on the display as you described them and reinstalling the OS corrected the problem.

Good luck

13. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357