Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
So I just traded my 2013 base 13" Retina Pro and my iPad Air 2 for a 15" 2012 Retina base model. I am very happy with the trade but after I was playing with it tonight I noticed a pretty bad ghosting problem. ( It also has a few dead pixels, but I was aware of that when I purchased it.) It is out of warranty now, but did Apple ever acknowledge this as being an issue. Did they do anything about it. If not this is pretty ****** on Apples part as from what I remember when they were released a couple years ago it was pretty widespread

Short of seeing if the guy would trade back (which I really don't want to do, I overall feel it was a good deal) is there anything I can do with Apple to resolve this problem.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
They will make you pay for a new screen. If you were aware of the dead pixels why did you buy it?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Despite this being such a common issue, Apple never issued a repair program. Luckily I had the display on mine replaced while still in warranty.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
They will make you pay for a new screen. If you were aware of the dead pixels why did you buy it?

A dead pixels in corner didn't bother me...the ghosting does. I mention it because it just adds to the **** Apple quality in these LG screens. My 13" retina with the Samsung screen has zero issues.

This really pisses me off. Apple has slowly been loosing my confidence over the years.

Any idea what the cost for that is?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Apple doesn't have a good reputation to admitting its fault. I read over the internet once that there was an issue with the 2011 macs and apple never issued a recall until it reached 75,00 signatures.

----------

A dead pixels in corner didn't bother me...the ghosting does. I mention it because it just adds to the **** Apple quality in these LG screens. My 13" retina with the Samsung screen has zero issues.

This really pisses me off. Apple has slowly been loosing my confidence over the years.

Any idea what the cost for that is?

Apple is not a great company plz don't hate on me but you know that. They do make amazing products but they don't improve it or admit fault to their mistakes, and if they issued recalls on their mistakes then i would love apple. But anyhow i will still buy apple products in the future, I've had windows before and it was horrible

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Apple doesn't have a good reputation to admitting its fault. I read over the internet once that there was an issue with the 2011 macs and apple never issued a recall until it reached 75,00 signatures.

----------

Apple is not a great company plz don't hate on me but you know that. They do make amazing products but they don't improve it or admit fault to their mistakes

I agree they make great products. I have been using Apple products nearly exclusively for computing since 2007 and don't plan on changing that, I just feel there QC has gone to down sharply on the hardware and software side of things in the last couple years....Hate to be this guy, but I feel since Jobs has been out of the helm the level of detail and care has gone down at Apple.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
i agree with you 100%

----------

They know people will just buy their products because its apple. Thats why they are not making their products better. Like updating the graphics card on macs and iMac. Really the lenovo notebooks have GTX 860m with 4gb of GDDR5 memory for 1299 and apple has 750M with 2gb for 2600

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I agree they make great products. I have been using Apple products nearly exclusively for computing since 2007 and don't plan on changing that, I just feel there QC has gone to down sharply on the hardware and software side of things in the last couple years....Hate to be this guy, but I feel since Jobs has been out of the helm the level of detail and care has gone down at Apple.

Like any computer company, a certain percentage of products will de defective in some way. The white plastic iMacs and 2011 MBPs are both prone to out-of-warranty GPU failure, and both were released while Jobs was still alive.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Like any computer company, a certain percentage of products will de defective in some way. The white plastic iMacs and 2011 MBPs are both prone to out-of-warranty GPU failure, and both were released while Jobs was still alive.

Those issues came down the road. The ghosting was known from day 1

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Those issues came down the road. The ghosting was known from day 1

I'm sure it was simply a large batch of defective displays put out by LG. They eventually realized what they were doing wrong and fixed the problem, although not every display is without this issue even today.

I do agree that Apple should create an out-of-warranty repair programs for well known issues like this. I was lucky I got mine replaced within the warranty period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.