iPad Pro Retina HD for IPP 12.9

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pr0230, Jan 12, 2017.

1. pr0230 Suspended

While the memory, CPU, Speakers, weight, size are all great at this point, in terms of the display for the IPP the screen is OLD and behind the times (several years old). Retina HD is available of the iPhone 7 Plus and also the iPad Mini 4 - really..., better that the PRO...., yup.

Im waiting for the display to be upgraded to AT LEAST what is on the IPM4 before I plop down a grand for a tablet...

Now some will chime in, that it already looks great... I agree... but technology on other devices are ahead of what is available... When I look at displays on the 7+, It almost appears that things are 3D. I would like the same thing on the IP PRO... Its a PRO, right...

SO, NO other device is actually better for this size of device... All have a 200+ PPI... NOT 300 or 400 PPI...

IS it remotely possible that Apple will jump ahead this release, or do we get the TTT retina display... True, True, True tone display?

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I think a 4K-class resolution on a 12.9" screen is reasonable.

4K on a 4:3 ratio would conceivably be 4096x3072. Given a "reference" resolution of 1366 x 1024, this would give a pixel multiplier of x3. This is quite doable, given that the iPhone Plus series also has a x3 multiplier.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I wouldn't hold my breath. We are talking about a company that still puts a 760p resolution on a flagship phone in 2017.

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Agreed,Apple screens are nice, But I agree they'll continue to do the smallest resolution they can get away with, partly for cost, partly for battery life and performance. Remember the iPad 3, is that worth 4k? I'd rather see the increased color saturation and improved efficiency with and improvement in lightness with a reduction of battery at this point. Get the iPad Pro under a pound and then start worrying about issues like that.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I personally see no need for 4K resolution on an iPad-sized device given the potential battery and performance hit.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

750p, to be exact. But yes, it is pathetic that they didn't go 1080p in the iPhone 7.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Sorry that's what I meant. Typo.

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

Same here, and I think the iPhone 7 has enough resolution too. That's coming from somebody with a plus screen iPhone, I don't benefit from any additional pixels my eyes cannot see anymore. On a big TV screen 4K surely is nice to have.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have the 7 plus and I would'nt trade it's battery life for a higher res screen, the screen is fine and the battery life spectacular

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tim Cook think it is silly to have 4K or rentia HD on 12.9 IPP. Corporation people might be watching Netflix during the meeting.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

What technology on other devices are ahead of the 12.9 iPad Pro? What other 13" tablets exists and what are their pixel density? The Surface Pro 4 has a screen with 267ppi, the 12.9 iPP has 264ppi.

I would hardly call the 12.9 iPad Pro's screen "old and behind the times". If you want to compare a phone's screen to a tablet, go ahead, but that doesn't make much sense.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I think the 12.9 display is awesome. The only iOS device that I think needs a resolution upgrade is the 4.7 iPhone.

13. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    The iPP has a 2732-2048 with 226 ppl, the resolution is essentially 3k, bumping it up to 4K will do close to nothing. The main thing that would actually improve the iPP's screen would be DCI-P3 and HDR. Otherwise it's a screen that is really only rivaled by the Surface Book and the 9.7" iPP in terms of clarity and color accuracy...
    A bump to DCI-P3 is what would be nice for the iPP. Apple's Retina screen is still superior to even some of the 4K displays built into laptops. It's all about engineering and implementation, and Apple's displays still outshine most of the competition due to the color and clarity quality they have.

Kal.

14. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

We just might see a 4K screen, who knows, exciting times!

15. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Nothing in the 12 inch tablet form factor actually competes well against the amazing amoled display of the samsung tabpro S, you have to see it in person to realize its beauty.......

16. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

But it's Samsung....YUCK!!!! That's like buying a car because it looks good, yet the ride is rubbish, interior is nothing special and the cars performance is average, but it looks nice?!?

17. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Sony Tried 4K on a Cellphone last year and it was a disaster. The battery was just drained too quickly in real world use.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BzMLA8YIgG0/hqdefault.jpg

I use to think 4K was not necessary on anything but 55" TVs then Microsoft released their Surfwce PC above link and now I understand what you mean by Text and images look 3D no matter how far you zoom in everything is smooth. And fast but that a plugged in PC on a 27" or 32" Display.

On a 12.9" Pro iPad 4K IMO would be a huge selling and marking point. But they need HDR as a big a deal as Retina HD and True Tone are and 4K. HDR is much more Impactful and meaningful.

Because at 4-5feet away no one here could without guessing tell the difference between 4K and 1080p Blind controlled test have been done. People simply can't tell.

But with HDR everyone at any distance can appreciate darker darks and brighter and more vibrant colors.