Retina HDMI out no audio?

freeskier989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I just hooked my Retina Macbook Pro to my 1080p LCD TV and the picture worked fine, but there was no audio transmitted over to the TV, it was still coming out of the computer speakers. I know HDMI transmits sound, why would it not work for the Retina?

freeskier989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah i found it you have to manually select the audio destination, it doesn't automatically switch over. Kind of a pain, but it works fine.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Does Option + Clicking on the menubar volume icon give you a output selection menu?

Might be quicker than going into System Preferences.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Yeah i found it you have to manually select the audio destination, it doesn't automatically switch over. Kind of a pain, but it works fine.
It's better that way for laptop computers. The most likely scenario for most consumers is for the audio to be running out of the 3.5mm output to dedicated computer speakers (default audio output), so then people using HDMI for video are still getting better sound quality through their larger speakers.

It's a very simple adjustment, otherwise.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
It's better that way for laptop computers. The most likely scenario for most consumers is for the audio to be running out of the 3.5mm output to dedicated computer speakers (default audio output), so then people using HDMI for video are still getting better sound quality through their larger speakers.

It's a very simple adjustment, otherwise.
Not sure I agree that that is the most likely scenario. Any evidence for that?

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Not sure I agree that that is the most likely scenario. Any evidence for that?
Nope, just an assumption on my part. Anyone not using the 3.5mm audio jack is...

1) a creative professional using a USB or Firewire audio interface or
2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio.

There are just the 2 main options that I can think of, and I'm guessing the majority of buyers are NOT in either of these scenarios.

haoledoc

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Nope, just an assumption on my part. Anyone not using the 3.5mm audio jack is...

1) a creative professional using a USB or Firewire audio interface or
2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio.

There are just the 2 main options that I can think of, and I'm guessing the majority of buyers are NOT in either of these scenarios.
Why wouldn't people be sending audio to TV speakers or a home theater speaker system? That's how I plan to use it.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Why wouldn't people be sending audio to TV speakers or a home theater speaker system? That's how I plan to use it.
If you're connected via 3.5mm then it's good that it's the default option. If you're connecting via HDMI then I covered that option with "2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio." (AKA receiver), which, I assume, isn't going to be the majority of scenarios.

haoledoc

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
If you're connected via 3.5mm then it's good that it's the default option. If you're connecting via HDMI then I covered that option with "2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio." (AKA receiver), which, I assume, isn't going to be the majority of scenarios.
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if you were referring to an AV receiver or some kind of pro audio setup. Is this scenario really that uncommon? I would think it would make more sense to default to audio over HDMI unless there is something plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if you were referring to an AV receiver or some kind of pro audio setup. Is this scenario really that uncommon? I would think it would make more sense to default to audio over HDMI unless there is something plugged into the 3.5mm jack.
Yeah. A receiver is a processor and amp in one box. Some people use separates.

I'm just saying I think the 3.5mm is the most common connection for audio. I'm guessing the majority of people only use HDMI to connect to a monitor. I suspect most people have a pair of computer speakers already lying around when they get a new display. I'm tiring myself arguing about the validity of this though. Just a guess!!!

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
In any case. Has the OP's initial problem been fixed ? Meaning does he get audio output through the HDMI now ?

Or is this just another bitch session ?
yes. you could have just read a few posts below the original to figure that out.

conan-kun

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Ohio, USA
He posted this so it sounds like everything is fixed! This is how it worked with the Mini Display Port as well so it's not too surprising.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
you may think that but its actually good to have the audio seperate, think of of hooking the hdmi to an external monitor with no built in speakers, you would be happy than that your audio didnt go out the hdmi in that case

Goteman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Houston, Texas
Now under the Airplay logo

Does Option + Clicking on the menubar volume icon give you a output selection menu?

Might be quicker than going into System Preferences.
The quick setting change now appears under the Airplay symbol and not under the volume symbol, at least on my MBP Retina. Maybe this was updated for all of OSX in Mountain Lion?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
I just found this out right now. I thougt HDMI Audio Out didn't exist.

I'm so happy now.

alansi89

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
ru
no HDMI settings (Mac Pro retina with Yosemite OS X)

when i connected my mac-pro to tv with hdmi cable, there were some settings in {system preferences-Displays} but now still only resolution and brightness:(
i did some settings to display when mac was connected to tv and make rotate 90grad/ after that i can't to make back previous settings' they don't appear again' please help me:apple: