Retina HDMI out no audio?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freeskier989, Jun 21, 2012.

1. freeskier989 macrumors member

I just hooked my Retina Macbook Pro to my 1080p LCD TV and the picture worked fine, but there was no audio transmitted over to the TV, it was still coming out of the computer speakers. I know HDMI transmits sound, why would it not work for the Retina?

2. Code001 macrumors member

Did you try selecting it via the preferences?

3. dizkard macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem, I can't seem to figure it out.

4. thatguy215 macrumors member

damnit! i dont got a HDTV so i cant test this out.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What kind of speakers does the HDTV have ? Built in or pass through to an external amplifier ?

Try system preferences > sound > output > HDMI

6. freeskier989 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i found it you have to manually select the audio destination, it doesn't automatically switch over. Kind of a pain, but it works fine.

7. t22design macrumors regular

Does Option + Clicking on the menubar volume icon give you a output selection menu?

Might be quicker than going into System Preferences.

8. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

It's better that way for laptop computers. The most likely scenario for most consumers is for the audio to be running out of the 3.5mm output to dedicated computer speakers (default audio output), so then people using HDMI for video are still getting better sound quality through their larger speakers.

It's a very simple adjustment, otherwise.

9. t22design macrumors regular

Not sure I agree that that is the most likely scenario. Any evidence for that?

10. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Nope, just an assumption on my part. Anyone not using the 3.5mm audio jack is...

1) a creative professional using a USB or Firewire audio interface or
    2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio.

There are just the 2 main options that I can think of, and I'm guessing the majority of buyers are NOT in either of these scenarios.

11. haoledoc macrumors member

Why wouldn't people be sending audio to TV speakers or a home theater speaker system? That's how I plan to use it.

12. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

If you're connected via 3.5mm then it's good that it's the default option. If you're connecting via HDMI then I covered that option with "2) connecting via HDMI to a processor for multi-channel audio." (AKA receiver), which, I assume, isn't going to be the majority of scenarios.

13. haoledoc macrumors member

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if you were referring to an AV receiver or some kind of pro audio setup. Is this scenario really that uncommon? I would think it would make more sense to default to audio over HDMI unless there is something plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

14. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Yeah. A receiver is a processor and amp in one box. Some people use separates.

I'm just saying I think the 3.5mm is the most common connection for audio. I'm guessing the majority of people only use HDMI to connect to a monitor. I suspect most people have a pair of computer speakers already lying around when they get a new display. I'm tiring myself arguing about the validity of this though. Just a guess!!!

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Then don't make broad, sweeping statements based solely on a guess. Try using "I" next time.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In any case. Has the OP's initial problem been fixed ? Meaning does he get audio output through the HDMI now ?

Or is this just another bitch session ?

17. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

yes. you could have just read a few posts below the original to figure that out.

18. conan-kun macrumors regular

He posted this so it sounds like everything is fixed! This is how it worked with the Mini Display Port as well so it's not too surprising.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you may think that but its actually good to have the audio seperate, think of of hooking the hdmi to an external monitor with no built in speakers, you would be happy than that your audio didnt go out the hdmi in that case

20. eeclipse16 macrumors member

I don't have to change any settings. The TV picks it up when I plug it in and turns off the laptop speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnvVvz14jHs&feature=youtu.be

21. Goteman macrumors newbie

Now under the Airplay logo

The quick setting change now appears under the Airplay symbol and not under the volume symbol, at least on my MBP Retina. Maybe this was updated for all of OSX in Mountain Lion?

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I just found this out right now. I thougt HDMI Audio Out didn't exist.

I'm so happy now.

23. alansi89 macrumors newbie

no HDMI settings (Mac Pro retina with Yosemite OS X)

when i connected my mac-pro to tv with hdmi cable, there were some settings in {system preferences-Displays} but now still only resolution and brightness:(
    i did some settings to display when mac was connected to tv and make rotate 90grad/ after that i can't to make back previous settings' they don't appear again' please help me:apple: