Retina iMac 27" Screen - Buy Now vs Wait

Discussion in 'iMac' started by minus.toes, Dec 12, 2014.

1. minus.toes macrumors member

Interested in the new Retina iMac 27'' but I'm more than a bit concerned of all the threads I see popping up on forums about problems with the screen (yellowing, spots, build, etc) and fan issues. Is this so widespread that I should hold off until it gets worked out or something that's not as widespread as it seems?

If it's something leaning more toward initial output QC issues, I can wait, but if it's more luck of the draw, hmmm...I don't know.

Obviously if I got a new one and had issues upon unboxing, I can return it, but as I live in Japan (Apple sucks here), returns are not free, believe it or not. So I'd have to pay each time I make a return if it's a constant issue.

2. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I think the problems on the retina imac is no different than the previous imac models. i had a late 2012 imac, after 2 years the screen started giving retentions and I sent it back for repair. My new retina imac works flawlessly so far, but I wont be surprised if something might pop up in the next couple of years. So, Id say go for it, buy now, it wont get any better in coming models, problems can occur, but luckily apple have good customer service...

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Does Apple Care give free repair if something goes bad in Japan? You may not necessarily want to "return" it, just take it back to have them fix it. Not sure if they would charge you for that too (as I don't live in Japan).

4. minus.toes thread starter macrumors member

The standard 1 year warranty, along with extended AppleCare warranty (if purchased) apply here the same as in the States - and for example, if I bought in the States, I can get it fixed here, as well. So it's not the warranty repair I'd worry about. More so if I just bought an iMac and a few days in had the monitor issues I see on this forum, I certainly wouldn't want to be screwing around with repairs. I'd want to return for new - and it's this circumstance here in Japan where you get screwed, because unlike America, there is no free return shipping - which I feel is ridiculously poor service.

5. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Makes sense, and I agree that is poor service.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I think the riMac is one of the most successful machine rollouts Apple has had in a long time.

Basing a decision on complaints on forums like this is hopeless. A thousand-post thread about "yellowing" or whatever is pretty meaningless. The next iMac version will have just as much, if not more complaining. And probably newer 10.11 software, which is just more reason to complain, and then you'll have to wait for another refresh, and then 10.12, and on and on. If you search on "wait" and "imac" you'll see complaints going back to slot loading DV G4s.

If you need or want a retina desktop, get one. There are no more problems with this machine than any other Apple, and anything you buy could go south. If it's too much money to risk, than go the other way, and buy something everyone agrees has no problems, which will mean an older machine without issues, if one exists.

7. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

The people with problems are the ones who will post on the screen threads. I looked at two 5K models in the Apple stores before buying mine. One of the demos was acceptable, the other was flawless. Fortunately my screen is flawless except for a little bit lower color temperature next to my TDB. It is not something you can see unless the window straddles the screens.

8. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Problem with buying technology is how do you is you are buyng at the right time because there is always a "better" model or version following in a few months time.

Life however, is only a one off and it is not a dress rehearsal.

Carpe diem and enjoy it, I certainly am.

9. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I'm about to head over to the Apple store to pick up my retina iMac. I have been on the 6plus forum and you should see the complaints there, a complaint about everything. :D You'll rarely see a good happy post. lol

What I also keep in mind is that when buying electronics, I'm not keeping them forever, which also has allowed me to use them and enjoy them for what they are. And when I decide to sell them, I will and move on from there. Technology moves so fast these days, and for many people they upgrade just as fast. I usually wait about 3 -4 years before selling my computer or laptop. I still have a rMBP that is in perfect condition from 2012. My old iMac from 2010 (sold a year ago) had yellow tint and dust inside of it. I just kept using it until it was time to get rid of it. It bothered me a little but after awhile I didn't care.

Get it, enjoy it. When you want to upgrade, sell it. Don't worry about other things! :D

10. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

iMacs seem to be a difficult bargain. I picked up a non-retina 2013 and returned it because the bottom half of my screen was 25% darker/slightly yellow. Rather than play swap-a-mac I'm holding off to get either a retina iMac directly from Apple this time (less issues with returns) or stick with a 4c MP + NEC monitor since I know those are 99% perfect out of the box every time.

Some people may not be bothered by screen inaccuracies like I mentioned but many an iMac seem to have a combo of backlight bleeding, color temp variations across the screen, or worse like mine, had where a white website was half white, half light gray.

The upside is that if you get a good one + don't care about minor variations any iMac is a great value compared to a MP + Monitor.

This is probably too much information but I'm bummed I sent my machine back today. ;)

11. thalazy macrumors regular

Buy now.

The screen is always going to be an issue. We are always going to hear about issues with any screen. I can only say I have no issues with my iMac except for some slight light bleed on my top screen. Only noticeable when watching youtube clips with black bars on the top of the bottom. Only wait if you want better specs.

12. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

13. minus.toes thread starter macrumors member

Is there something so difficult with Apple being able to put out the iMac line without the screen issues that seems to follow it around? I could give a crap about PC companies, but I just don't seem to stumble upon this same issue with other monitors. Or for that matter, with the Thunderbolt Display.

----------

I fully agree with your sentiment. But with the Mac Pro being way more beast than I need, and the new Mac Mini being a rather huge disappointment with it's long await refresh - it only leaves the iMac line - and while I'm not searching for problems, it seems unfathomable to me that it would be so difficult for Apple to release a mid-range computer which doesn't have such high frequencies of screen issues.

----------

It's kinda my point...it seems there's always a screen issue with every iMac release/refresh. I'm not cowering in a corner waiting for the final best computer to come out, because that stream will never dry up. But wondering why it seems so much to ask to pay $2000+ for a computer and not have hardware issues with it within 6 months.

----------

Maybe I expect too much. When I place an order for a new MBP from Apple - pay $2500 for it - and it arrives with scratches and marks on it, I am not impressed, happy or satisfied. Ever since Apple switched all of their models over to the grey aluminium builds, I can't recall a single computer I've received from them that wasn't marked up. It's obvious that some people don't care about it, and others do. But if it's that difficult to offer a premium product without blemishes or cosmetic damage, maybe they need to stop manufacturing with such laced QC standards, invest in white gloves or find a new packing method.

----------

But the screen shouldn't always be an issue. Apple can't source out a manufacturer without these issues or collectively manufacture an iMac without such problems?

Or is this overlooked by the hype and fandom?

If I made a Kickstarter and pumped out 10,000 units (paltry compared to Apple, I know), if a handful of them had yellowing and dead pixels and the same screen issues, people would be burning me at the stake.

With Apple sticking forever with the image that their products are always about the users experience, I would think this sort of issue(s) would be nipped in the bud at the onset. Not dragging over into multiple refreshes/updates.

14. minus.toes thread starter macrumors member

There's no set rate. It just comes down to calling Apple to complain about the product and wanting to return (whether for refund or replacement), printing out a return label, boxing everything up and then hauling the item to your nearest post office. Obviously, from here forward, it's gonna come down to what the size/weight of the item is plus the speed of which you want it sent and insurance.

I'd say for a 27" iMac, which is about 10kg, you're looking at about $35USD. Not a huge sum, but start having some problems with new products or want to return holiday surprises, etc - it starts to cost.

There's no good reason for Apple to offer free shipping on returns in the USA, but then for a country like Japan, which is easily a top 5 country for Apple, they completely dismantle any sense of customer service.

If you call Apple Japan's sales line, you can barely get the person on the end to commit to an opinion when asked a question. If you call AppleCare for fixing, they will send a courier company to your house with a box to pick up your item for free and deliver for free when fixed. But when you want to return to Apple because you changed your mind/don't like it/it's damaged /etc in that first 10-12 day period, you pay for shipping. Eh?

15. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Wow, that sucks. You must be the unluckiest Mac owner on earth. In my rather large sample size of two (one rMBP, one riMac) both have arrived blemish free.

16. minus.toes thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha - sadly, I've long since suspected the same thing. I'm gonna guess around 12 units in total. Not talking about UV-lighting the units or dusting for prints. Rather, marks that you can see from across the room. I'm just under the impression that a mint unit does not leave the factory. I've never seen one. Sucks.

17. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Odd. Even my refurbs have been pristine. I've owned like 20+ Macs and never returned a single one. And I still think you are assuming a frequency of problems that just doesn't exist. You will never ever ever see a product rollout without at least a few complaints. Never. But if you've been burned before, Apple may not be for you. Build a PC or even a hackintosh where you have more control over the individual components. Maybe there's something in the supply chain to where you are.

But to your original question, don't wait. Nothing's gonna change in that regard.

18. minus.toes thread starter macrumors member

I have pondered about the supply chain before. I'm sure you are right. Most of my headaches have come since moving to Japan.