Retina iMac 5k External Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drew051, Jul 22, 2015.

1. drew051 macrumors newbie

drew051

Hey Everyone,
    Long time reader and first time poster!

I've done a lot of reading on the forums but haven't found a lot of material about external monitors for the retina iMac. I dont do a lot of intensive graphic work but I could really use some extra real estate for the work that I do. I have looked into the Dell 5k 27" screen but it is right around the $2k mark and I can't decide if I want to go that route or maybe go with something a little less costly. Like I said earlier I don't do a lot of graphic work so having the same resolution is not the be all and end all.

All advice would be appreciated!

Many Thanks!

2. richb330 macrumors newbie

Do you need a second 5k 27" monitor? ie. would you get the most out of having it. The reason i ask is you will have one of the best 5k monitors on the market in the iMac. Will the second monitor be used for graphic intensive work, photos etc, or simply to display Safari and email? if the latter, maybe a standard 27" 1440p monitor would suffice saving potentially $2k..

3. drew051 thread starter macrumors newbie

drew051

Thanks for the reply! I think I would definitely be using it more for safari and iTunes etc. I don't need to use it for graphics intensive use(I'd use the iMac screen for that!) any recommendations for a screen?

Thanks!

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Then just buy a 4K monitor which are pretty cheap right now.