Retina iMac 5k vs refurb non-retina 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macaddict16, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to purchase a new iMac in the next month or so to replace my existing 2009 iMac. I am definitly getting a 27 inch model, but I am debating between a refurb of the non-retina model (3.5 i7, upgraded GPU, and 3TB fusion drive) and an 4.0 i7 version of the Retina iMac with an upgraded GPU and a 3TB fusion drive. I have heard of a lot of issues with the retina model and light bleeding and graphics card performance. I am mainly going to use it for games on Steam, Boot Camp if needed, Office apps, and an iTunes server for my Apple TVs. Any suggestions? I usually wait 4 or 5 years to purchase a new computer so I want it to last a while. The referb model is currently $2289 and the retina model is running $2884 with my educational discount. I plan on maxing out the RAM by buying it elsewhere and also getting a superdrive.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any one have either of these models that can share their experiences?

Thanks!
    Macaddict16

2. yjchua95, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you use it for gaming, go for the non-retina variant all the way, as the drivers available so far seem to be more optimized for the GTX 780M than the M295X.

Edit: I've both the non-retina (3.5/32/512/780M) and retina (4.0/32/512/M295X), and the non-retina seems to perform better at gaming (both at 1080p with identical settings). However, when it comes to professional tasks like FCP X and Photoshop, the retina wins by miles.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

As already mentioned, if gaming will be your primary use go with the non-retina. The M295X runs hot and drivers support is poor. Otherwise the retina will be your best choice.

Concerning the backlight bleed, it's not any worse than prior models where it was hidden by the severe off-axis IPS glow not present on the retina. Of course it will vary from display to display.

Also, I would recommend you go pure SSD with external storage instead of Fusion as it will increase system speed and even help the iMac run cooler.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If you want it to "last" no question, get the retina. If you doubt me, consider the used price of a non retina mobile device or non retina MBP compared to retina. It's the future.

If you are a worrier, get Apple Care. If Steam melts your retina you get a new one. I think the problems here don't reflect the reality for most of us. If you get a lemon you can return it. But you could get a lemon refurb or lemon any sort of Apple, to sorta mix metaphors.

And you'll like the retina MUCH more. That's a pretty good educ discount, cool; it's definitely worth an extra $600; even a good external 4k would run probably that high. I think the riMac (similar specs to the object of your desire, except more RAM and SSD) is one of the best Macs I ever bought, and I've bought a lot of 'em.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

+1 on the last part. I forgot to mention that.

6. Macaddict16 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! The riMac looks really nice! Have any of you seen the retina iMacs in the Refurb store? I have only been looking the last few days and it seems to cycle through items fairly regularly.
    Thanks!
    Robert

7. roberthallin macrumors member