Retina iMac + AC Time Capule 5Ghz wifi issues...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WilliamG, Nov 14, 2014.

1. WilliamG, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

WilliamG macrumors G3

Anyone else having wifi issues with this combination? I seem to get disconnected randomly at times, with no rhyme or reason to when it happens...

At that point, it often won't let me reconnect to the router till I reboot the iMac.

Oh Apple and wifi issues...

2. chelch macrumors regular

Nope. Mine's been on 5GHz AC Time Capsule since first boot. No issues or drops. What are your stats when you option+click on Wifi?

3. WilliamG, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

No issues with stats:

Channel 161
    RSSI -68dBm
    Noise -95dBm
    Tx Rate: 527Mbps
    PHY Mode: 802.11ac

I had no issues for almost 2 years with my 2012 iMac, and got the AC Time Capsule the day it was released, so a long time with my 2012 iMac. Just seems to be problematic with the 2014 RiMac...

It can go several days without disconnects. Not sure if you put your system to sleep or shut it off ever, but mine is on 24/7.

I'll also add that when it disconnects, I can reconnect to the 2.4Ghz network, but not the 5Ghz network for some reason (they're named differently). A reboot fixes it, but that seems especially odd, when my iPad Air 2 is still connected to 5Ghz etc.

4. chelch macrumors regular

You had no issues with 802.11n for almost 2 years. Now your data rate has increased, therefore your SNR may need to increase. 27dBm is good, but I'm not sure what's recommended for this setup. I'll check my stats and post when I get home...

Although I doubt that's what's causing the drops/reboots though. Are you rebooting the RiMac or router? Is anything else connected to the 5GHz band?

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Rebooting the iMac. Nothing else is permanently connected to the 5Ghz band. iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2, I suppose, but that's it, when in use.

6. chelch macrumors regular

Here's mine...

RSSI: -52 dBm
    Noise: -93 dBm
    Tx Rate: 878 Mbps

I do let it go to sleep quite often for now... but you should never have to reboot your RiMac to reconnect the wifi... anyone else have any thoughts? I guess I would suggest moving your TC a little closer if possible...

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for your results. I don't think there's any point moving it closer. Signal is still pretty high, and I can immediately connect to the 2.4Ghz network when it craps out, but it refuses to reconnect to the 5Ghz network. I know 5Ghz doesn't have the range of 2.4Ghz, but this is an iMac with large antennae, and rebooting always solves it, till the next time.

And remember, it can go days and days without this happening. My suspicion is that it's part of the Yosemite wifi issues, and will... at some point... get patched.

8. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I think you're right in your suspicion that it's Yosemite wi-fi issues and I suspect there were some in Mavericks as well. My late 2012 was regularly dropping connections to the rest of the house network (time capsules, printers etc.) but maintaining the connection to the internet. If I turned wifi on and off, it got better for a while.

Now, in Yosemite, the internal connections are fine, but I get stalls and glitches on the browser. There's a new patch in the pipeline, which is supposed to improve matters.