retina iMac - Apple leading instead of following

Discussion in 'iMac' started by c.s., Oct 22, 2014.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Still waiting for Friday delivery of my custom configured retina iMac. I'm so excited about it - haven't purchased anything else from Apple this year.

It hit me - this is an example where Apple is leading instead of following. Think of the other big products they've launched: a smartwatch, bigger iPhones, etc. This is stuff that's been done and feels like a response to the market. The retina iMac is a true innovation. I'm amazed they solved the technical challenges involved and put it together for under $3000. I doubt this can easily be copied. Having owned a rMBP for the past two years, I already know I'm going to love it.

2. macmee, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

macmee Suspended

macmee

Didn't apple start the whole move to retina? I don't see how they're following since they're the driving factor being high resolution computing :rolleyes:

edit: I thought the title said Apple was following and not leading. I'll leave my silly mistake above for entertainment value. I agree, Apple is leading here!

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

He said that they are leading. Did you read the post?

4. macmee Suspended

macmee

Apparently not well enough ;)

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

heh

:D

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Absolutely. And not only did they lead with the rMBP (the announcement of that machine was what moved me to Macs finally), but they're still the only ones doing Retina properly. All the trolls keep moaning that retina only means high resolution, but if you play with a Windows laptop running at high resolutions (similar to the rMBP) they're awful, because Windows doesn't do it right.

Retina on the desktop was the next logical step, but I wasn't ready for them to get it so right this early. It took me less than 2 minutes from seeing the announcement on here to clicking "purchase" on a maxed out riMac, even though I wasn't really in the market for one.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

They... almost did Retina correctly. Just unfortunate they started at 1440x900 on the 15" MacBook and quad-pumped that.