Retina iMac display / computer sleep question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scottw75, Dec 8, 2014.

1. scottw75 macrumors newbie

Hi

I've had the retina iMac now for a couple of weeks now and have a question re the sleep mode.

I see that apple have removed the separate sliders for display and computer sleep so the only way to keep the mac awake longer than the screen wake time is to check the prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off option in energy saver.

Is there any way to tell the difference between computer sleep and display sleep on an iMac? I've seen a few methods mentioned but none seem to work.

Caps lock doesn't work as the keyboard turns the caps lock light off before it sleeps.

I've also seen mentioned that the trackpad can indicate if the computer is sleeping or just the display. It reckoned if you move your finger on the trackpad and the display comes on then it was only the display sleeping but if you have to click then the computer was sleeping. On my iMac i have to click the trackpad to get the display back on but i still think it was just the display sleeping.

So, Does anyone know a definitive way to prove if the display is sleeping or if the computer is sleeping?

2. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Actually a good question. I've noticed that the sleep light indicator is GONE on newer iMacs. So how does one see if the thing is actually sleeping? :confused:

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've found the easiest way to tell is to put my hand under the vent to the left of the Apple logo on the front, and see if I feel the fan air. :)

4. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

lol. The old lick the finger and feel which direction the wind is moving. In this case its air being drawn into the vent right? Here is another idea then. I wonder if we can tape a very light string on the back of the iMac exhaust vent to get a visual cue if the iMac is really sleeping.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I suppose I'm not entirely sure which way the air is moving. I know I can feel it, though! I'm sure your string trick would probably work, too. :)

6. vladobizik macrumors 6502

:D
    Remember, though, that sometimes Power Nap may turn the fan on for a while as it does its thing, AFAIK.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Good call.