Retina iMac - dual external displays

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onionpicklecake, Oct 23, 2014.

1. onionpicklecake macrumors newbie

On Apple's 5k iMac spec sheet, it says it supports an external display up to 4k.

Previous imacs could run 2 external displays up to 2560x1600.

Can anyone with a retina iMac test two external displays and see if it works?

My theory is based around the number of display port channels on the graphics card. 4k externally requires 2 display port streams.

If they are using 2 streams internally, overclocked, with the custom Tcon, and 2 externally, that gives four.

Normal displayport displays ( up to 2560x1600) use a single stream. Therefore two non 4k displays should be doable. Thoughts?

2. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

I've said it in other threads that when I receive mine next week that's going to be one of the first things I do. I have a 27" Cinema Display and a Thunderbolt Display that I will be hooking up to it. I ordered mine with the m295x so hopefully it'll be able to run them with no issues.

3. onebyone macrumors newbie

I hooked up my new 5K to my old iMac 27 and a QNIX 2710 (matte thunderbolt) and it works great. I tried to take a pic but I can't back up enough :).

4. onionpicklecake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks onebyone! That's fantastic news. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Going to be running a Dell 27" and an older Viewsonic 24, both with LG panels to match the iMac.