Retina iMac FaceTime camera switches off during call

Discussion in 'iMac' started by timothevs, Jan 5, 2016.

1. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Has anyone had a similar issue where during a perfectly normal call, the FT camera just stops working? I know it is not a call quality issue - the camera light goes off, and if I am using FaceTime I need to call again to start the video. In Skype, I can usually switch the Camera off and on, during the call and that will restore the Video for a little while.

I've tried the usual steps - clean install of El Cap, clearing the PRAM and SMC Resets, to no avail. It works fine for a few days after a reset but then we are back again.

2. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

Well, took it to the Apple Store, and they've replaced the FT Camera. Let's see if that fixes things. :/

3. timothevs, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

Got the iMac back from the Apple Store yesterday. How I wish I had turned it on in the store to examine it.

Once at home - Ugh and double ugh. NOW, it it takes literally 11 minutes to boot. It just sits at the black screen for 7 minutes and then the Apple logo for another 4 minutes before I get to the desktop.

Just so very disappointed in the work that they did. I called Apple Support, and they were more than willing for me to take it back for repair. But the store is an hour away, and I end up having to take time off work to go there, and then be without my main freelancing machine for days at a time. This just stinks. I have had many iMacs that have worked flawlessly, since the last real lemon.

All of this and my iMac is less than 3 months old. How many repair attempts will they make? What does it say about the longevity of this machine?

4. aussieinjapan macrumors member

5. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

Hm, seems odd. I don't believe mine was a software issue. I say "was" because I ended up getting a new iMac (2015) from Apple, after they tried to fix the issue and were unable to diagnose/fix the problem.

This new iMac works perfectly, and has since day 1 (with the same pattern of usage). Which of course leads me to believe that it was a Hardware issue.