Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Do you know if its just a demo unit or if they have them in stock for purchase?

hoshal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Just purchased one at my local Apple store. Base model then upgraded to 32GB of RAM which they installed right there

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
The Sacramento Apple Store will have the iMac 5K in stock and available on the demo floor starting this Friday (October 24).

Bryan

hoshal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
It's actually in stock today and on display at the Arden fair mall. That's where I got mine this morning

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
It's actually in stock today and on display at the Arden fair mall. That's where I got mine this morning

Oh my gosh -- no way!

Of course I believe you. My statement is directed at the girl I just talked to on the phone at the Arden Fair store. She plainly said they will won't be available until this Friday.

It's hard to trust any in-store employee these days...

Bryan

hoshal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Absolutely. They had originally told my wife they would have them "Thursday or Friday" when she checked on Sunday. I had heard that they were being released today in the stores so decided to check it out myself and was pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• receipt.jpg
    receipt.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 132

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Their communications are so screwed up apparently. I just called both local stores and was told by one that the 24th was the "launch date" for the 5k iMac and the other store told me they had them, but not selling until the 24th.

"You'll just have to wait until Friday sir".

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
It sounds like Apple stores are starting to hire ex-Best Buy employees! :eek:

Bryan

Pretty much. The guy kept on going...

"Sir, no one is able to purchase these anywhere yet except for online. I can guarantee no one has purchased one in person because they do not go on sale in stores until the 24th."

This while I'm staring at the posts right here and the receipt posted above. :eek:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I will swing by my local store in Marin, CA on my way home from work today. Can't wait to see one in person. I just sold my mac pro earlier this year in favor of my Late 2013 RMBP but now I'm considering picking one of these up. Top spec of course :cool:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Pretty much. The guy kept on going...

"Sir, no one is able to purchase these anywhere yet except for online. I can guarantee no one has purchased one in person because they do not go on sale in stores until the 24th."

This while I'm staring at the posts right here and the receipt posted above. :eek:

Sounds like we talked to the same person lol.

I had the same happen from several stores but finally got a really nice guy on the business team from the Ft. Lauderdale store who put one aside for me. The normal sales employees do not know much for when they are going to have them or if they even do.

But I was lucky enought to get one of three that were in stock. The screen is amazing I'm really happy with it so far.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I saw the retina iMac on display this morning at the Montgomery Mall Apple Store in Bethesda, MD. I was floored by the quality. I immediately went home and ordered a maxed out unit. ;)

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
so only the base models are at stores ?? wondering when the ultimate edition will show up which is basically max cpu and max gpu and probably 1 or 3tb fusion

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I saw the retina iMac on display this morning at the Montgomery Mall Apple Store in Bethesda, MD. I was floored by the quality. I immediately went home and ordered a maxed out unit. ;)

did they replace both 27s?

----------

so only the base models are at stores ?? wondering when the ultimate edition will show up which is basically max cpu and max gpu and probably 1 or 3tb fusion

i'd rather the max cpu/gpu and some kind of ssd, with the 256 you are under 3k lol.

dragon529

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Absolutely. They had originally told my wife they would have them "Thursday or Friday" when she checked on Sunday. I had heard that they were being released today in the stores so decided to check it out myself and was pleasantly surprised.

I just called up Arden Fair apple store today (Wed) 1:30p and the guy said there's no retina iMac on display...

so is it on display or not..? :(

forg0t

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
I just called up Arden Fair apple store today (Wed) 1:30p and the guy said there's no retina iMac on display...

so is it on display or not..? :(

I called them today, they told me they have the iMac Retina in stock, base model and upgraded processor models. They told me if I want the m295x I have to build it online and have it shipped to me.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I just called up Arden Fair apple store today (Wed) 1:30p and the guy said there's no retina iMac on display... so is it on display or not..? :(
I've called that Arden store too a few times in recent days to ask if a 5K retina iMac is currently on display. The same lady answered each time and always pretends to hardly know what question your asking! The nearby Roseville store said not only do they have a demo model on display, but that all northern Calif. stores do as well. So I'm headed over there tomorrow to see what my 4K Youtube videos look like on the 5K iMac and also to see what Google Earth satellite map images look like.

dragon529

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I've called that Arden store too a few times in recent days to ask if a 5K retina iMac is currently on display. The same lady answered each time and always pretends to hardly know what question your asking! The nearby Roseville store said not only do they have a demo model on display, but that all northern Calif. stores do as well. So I'm headed over there tomorrow to see what my 4K Youtube videos look like on the 5K iMac and also to see what Google Earth satellite map images look like.

The apple employees are tricking us! Please give a report back after your visit, if possible. Both stores are not far from me (downtown Sac), but I'll hate to visit and be disappointed with no toy to play with =/

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
For South Island NZ residents, Yoobee in Riccarton Mall has one on display (base model). It's exactly as I assumed it'd be.

I have to say it was a bit clunky here and there. Scrolling through the Apple website on Safari was very smooth indeed. But some window opening was just slightly slow on the redraw. Not terrible at all, but you could tell it was working hard to display all those pixels. Otherwise the machine was responsive and quick, although not exceptionally so. This is the base model, though.

Otherwise the screen was as good as expected (if you're used to a rMBP, it's like that). And disappointingly small. It would have been so much better to have gone up to 30-32 inches. It's going to be hard to go down to 27", but it is already hard going back to a low-resolution screen after using it for just twenty minutes or so.

No standard option for going native resolution -- the "best for display" is the standard HiDPI middle option. Presumably gfxcardstatus or similar will allow us to run at native resolution. I think it's quite doable.

They had Parallels running a Windows 8.1 virtual machine. That was quite snappy with just two cores and 2Gb RAM, and of course it was running within its window at native resolution. Very nice indeed, and very small but quite usable. I can imagine running at native resolution a fair bit of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.