Retina iMac in the wild

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frankeliason, Oct 21, 2014.

1. frankeliason macrumors member

The NYC 5th ave Apple Store has the Retina iMac in stock

2. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Do you know if its just a demo unit or if they have them in stock for purchase?

3. frankeliason thread starter macrumors member

They have the base model in stock available for purchase

4. hoshal macrumors newbie

Just purchased one at my local Apple store. Base model then upgraded to 32GB of RAM which they installed right there

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The Sacramento Apple Store will have the iMac 5K in stock and available on the demo floor starting this Friday (October 24).

Bryan

6. hoshal macrumors newbie

It's actually in stock today and on display at the Arden fair mall. That's where I got mine this morning

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Oh my gosh -- no way!

Of course I believe you. My statement is directed at the girl I just talked to on the phone at the Arden Fair store. She plainly said they will won't be available until this Friday.

It's hard to trust any in-store employee these days...

Bryan

8. hoshal macrumors newbie

Absolutely. They had originally told my wife they would have them "Thursday or Friday" when she checked on Sunday. I had heard that they were being released today in the stores so decided to check it out myself and was pleasantly surprised.

Attached Files:

9. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Their communications are so screwed up apparently. I just called both local stores and was told by one that the 24th was the "launch date" for the 5k iMac and the other store told me they had them, but not selling until the 24th.

"You'll just have to wait until Friday sir".

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It sounds like Apple stores are starting to hire ex-Best Buy employees! :eek:

Bryan

11. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Pretty much. The guy kept on going...

"Sir, no one is able to purchase these anywhere yet except for online. I can guarantee no one has purchased one in person because they do not go on sale in stores until the 24th."

This while I'm staring at the posts right here and the receipt posted above. :eek:

12. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I will swing by my local store in Marin, CA on my way home from work today. Can't wait to see one in person. I just sold my mac pro earlier this year in favor of my Late 2013 RMBP but now I'm considering picking one of these up. Top spec of course :cool:

13. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I didn't know there was another option... :D

14. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like we talked to the same person lol.

I had the same happen from several stores but finally got a really nice guy on the business team from the Ft. Lauderdale store who put one aside for me. The normal sales employees do not know much for when they are going to have them or if they even do.

But I was lucky enought to get one of three that were in stock. The screen is amazing I'm really happy with it so far.

15. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I saw the retina iMac on display this morning at the Montgomery Mall Apple Store in Bethesda, MD. I was floored by the quality. I immediately went home and ordered a maxed out unit. ;)

16. jetjaguar Suspended

jetjaguar

so only the base models are at stores ?? wondering when the ultimate edition will show up which is basically max cpu and max gpu and probably 1 or 3tb fusion

17. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

did they replace both 27s?

----------

i'd rather the max cpu/gpu and some kind of ssd, with the 256 you are under 3k lol.

18. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

No, just one 27 inch was the retina. I never asked if they were in stock since I knew they would only have the base models.

19. dragon529 macrumors member

I just called up Arden Fair apple store today (Wed) 1:30p and the guy said there's no retina iMac on display...

so is it on display or not..? :(

20. jetjaguar Suspended

jetjaguar

just saw one at my local apple store .. the screen is definitely nice:cool:

21. hoshal macrumors newbie

It's there for sure. Their were 2 display models yesterday morning

22. forg0t macrumors member

I called them today, they told me they have the iMac Retina in stock, base model and upgraded processor models. They told me if I want the m295x I have to build it online and have it shipped to me.

23. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I've called that Arden store too a few times in recent days to ask if a 5K retina iMac is currently on display. The same lady answered each time and always pretends to hardly know what question your asking! The nearby Roseville store said not only do they have a demo model on display, but that all northern Calif. stores do as well. So I'm headed over there tomorrow to see what my 4K Youtube videos look like on the 5K iMac and also to see what Google Earth satellite map images look like.

24. dragon529 macrumors member

The apple employees are tricking us! Please give a report back after your visit, if possible. Both stores are not far from me (downtown Sac), but I'll hate to visit and be disappointed with no toy to play with =/

25. tillsbury macrumors 65816

For South Island NZ residents, Yoobee in Riccarton Mall has one on display (base model). It's exactly as I assumed it'd be.

I have to say it was a bit clunky here and there. Scrolling through the Apple website on Safari was very smooth indeed. But some window opening was just slightly slow on the redraw. Not terrible at all, but you could tell it was working hard to display all those pixels. Otherwise the machine was responsive and quick, although not exceptionally so. This is the base model, though.

Otherwise the screen was as good as expected (if you're used to a rMBP, it's like that). And disappointingly small. It would have been so much better to have gone up to 30-32 inches. It's going to be hard to go down to 27", but it is already hard going back to a low-resolution screen after using it for just twenty minutes or so.

No standard option for going native resolution -- the "best for display" is the standard HiDPI middle option. Presumably gfxcardstatus or similar will allow us to run at native resolution. I think it's quite doable.

They had Parallels running a Windows 8.1 virtual machine. That was quite snappy with just two cores and 2Gb RAM, and of course it was running within its window at native resolution. Very nice indeed, and very small but quite usable. I can imagine running at native resolution a fair bit of the time.