Retina iMac Temperature Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cameryn12, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Cameryn12 macrumors member

Hi everyone - new here. I just got my new iMac 27" Retina today (32 gb RAM, 4 gb video RAM, i7 processor) and I have a question.

I'm not a power gamer but I play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. On my earlier iMac (2012, which is going to my partner now) I had no issues with temperature or fans running at all, and at max resolution (2560x1440) it ran without any issues or any fan running.

On my new computer, using the same resolution as before is hazy and subpar.

Setting it up to maximum (5K) resolution it looks and runs perfectly - FPS is remarkable, images are pure, it's exactly the sort of gaming experience I love.

However, I'm running iStat to keep an eye on things, and it's running at 65º C or so with running minimal fan activity. The trouble is the other numbers are not staying in good ranges and some are starting to momentarily (or not so momentarily) turn red:

* The four CPU cores run high 80s C with momentary flashes into the low (red) 90s

* The GPU die is running 94-100º C and keeps going into the red.

Here's my issue - if I run it at the older resolutions I used to find were just fine, it looks terrible. I can't get that quality back running 2560x1440 it seems and I'm not certain what to do. Should I manually keep the fan running full blast while I'm gaming? I'm turning down the resolution as much as I can without it looking unplayable.

Any advice/help/sage counsel would be appreciated. (But I'm not looking for suggestions on getting a different computer to play my games, thanks.) :)

2. Cameryn12 thread starter macrumors member

I've decided to return the new machine. No matter what I do, running World of Warcraft in any resolution brings the GPU temps up to 105 C or even hotter. I don't want to be stuck with a machine that cuts out in me in two months due to a burned out GPU.

A real shame since its a beautiful machine.

Buyers beware, ANY gaming (nit even top of the line) will start to fry the mobile graphics chip on this thing.