Retina iMac Vesa Option

Discussion in 'iMac' started by docderwood, Oct 31, 2014.

1. docderwood macrumors member

So....if I get the Vesa option can I convert it to a regular stand if needs change.....or does it make more sense to order the standard one and do Vesa mount later?

thx!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, the VESA mount iMac is an either/or deal. If you need the stand, then you can't use a standard VESA adapter.
    If you get the VESA model, you can't replace that with the stand that the standard iMacs have.
    This article would still be relevant: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5619

I _think_ the back panel is different, and not just a simple swap-out to a VESA adapter.
    But, you are free to choose any VESA-compatible mount with that.

3. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Why do you think that the back panel is different? I'm pretty convinced that Apple just couldn't be bothered with the extending spring latch mechanism from the older ones (either due to cost, or space, or both). I won't claim to have measured, but I have the VESA iMac at home and the non-VESA 27" at work and I can't see anything discernibly different. The VESA bracket even mounts through the horizontal slot.

That said, you will have to fully disassemble the iMac to switch. I'll probably do that when I retire this machine from primary use, unless someone makes an alternative mount that doesn't suck.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

That dosen't make sense. I really doubt if there is a difference between them. I think the VESA option is for those users and businesses that don't plan on ever using a stand with the iMac so Apple sells the iMac ready for the swivel stand, eliminating the extra cost of the stand and the time to convert it to the VESA mount.

If you think you'll eventually want a stand also then you probably need to buy the iMac with the stand and order the VESA mount as an additional item. Apple also sells a sturdy swivel stand that can take the weight of the 27" iMac at a pretty decent price.

I'm also looking into this and for using the iMac in portrait mode with my Dell U3014.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

VESA mount is NOT available as an additional item, except for the older models (those that still had an internal optical drive) The stand or adapter are not attached to the outside back as most are. You have to completely disassemble the case to swap out the stand or adapter - if you can get that as a separate part.
    This has been the norm since the thin iMac has been available (2012?)

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah there's no difference, there's just no easy-attach mechanism any more.

In theory, if you can find a stand on eBay then you could technically disassemble the iMac and attach it, but it's a heck of a lot of effort to go to.