Retina iMac vs 2.3 Quad Mini with Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mstgkillr, Oct 18, 2014.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I currently have a 2012, 2.3GHz Quad-core i7, 1TB Fusion, HD4000, Mac Mini with a 27" Thunderbolt display. I'm thinking about selling my current setup and going with the new 5k iMac, 3.5GHz Quad-core i5, 512GB SSD, and M290X. This upgrade would primarily be for the retina display.

This computer will mostly be used for web browsing, grad school homework, Microsoft Office, facebook, and a little photo/video editing of my personal stuff.

What are the pros and cons of these two setups?

Will I notice a significant speed difference between the two?

What about the difference between the HD4000 intergrated graphics/27" Thunderbolt display vs. the M290X/5k screen.

Who should consider upgrading to the 4.0GHz and M295X? Would I see a benefit to these upgrades?

2. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I think the only real con is that it's going to cost you a lot of money to upgrade. I mean you have a 27" display now and the Mini probably handles all of your needs pretty easy. Let's say you sell them both for 1300, still thats another $1500. If you don't care about that then by all means I wouldn't see any issue.

Retina iMac also crossed my mind but I already have a 27" display.

Video editors. But need to wait for benchmarks

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Retina anything is like the ferrari in ferris bueller's day off: if you have the means.

Another way to put it: once you go retina...

The only real pain point is that the reason not to go imac the first time was to avoid replacing the screen. And here we are replacing the screen. Funny how that works.