Retina iMac vs MacBook pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imtom, Oct 26, 2014.

1. imtom macrumors newbie

I have a late 2007 iMac and its on its last legs, so I think it's time to upgrade.
    I'm wondering performance wise which model is best? A MacBook pro 15-inch: 2.5GHz entry model or the iMac retina entry model?
    The computer would be used for graphic design photo editing etc. I'm look for something that can last me another 7 years so I need something that's good performance wise and not just a pretty screen. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

3. 5iMacs macrumors regular

For me, this would be an easy one.

I would never settle for a desktop machine as my one-and-only setup.

4. forg0t macrumors member

Not necessarily a better cpu. Don't the 15" MBPs come with a quad core i7 as the base model? The iMac comes with a 3.5ghz dual core i5.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's a Quad-core, not a Dual-core. It's also a desktop i5 CPU, which is normally comparable in preformance to a laptop i7 CPU.

6. forg0t macrumors member

Nvm, listen to these others I thought the i5 iMac was dual core.

7. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

the question is really if you need the portability at all. At a certain point, an up spec'd rmbp or rimac are fairly similar in cost, but the imac will be more powerful and have a considerably larger screen and resolution. My next upgrade is an imac eventually seeing as my laptop needs are already met and don't require desktop performance that is movable.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Exactly. Think back to the early 90's when laptops were expensive and lacking compared to their desktop counterparts. The ONLY reason you would get a laptop was for portability. Today there is still a performance gap between the two, as laptops have to conserve power to maintain battery life and desktops don't.

9. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I moved from an iMac to a 15" rMBP. The retina iMac would have been my choice had it been available. I do a lot of graphical work and miss the large screen. I use an external monitor, but it is just not the same.

10. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

my only slight beef is the lack of a true desktop gpu, which you have to step up to the mac pro for...and that's more workstation oriented and priced.:eek:

----------

the rmbp wooshes (as pleasantly as it can) under large load. How do the imacs do in this regard, thermally and acoustically speaking?

11. seunosewa macrumors newbie

How is the external monitor and laptop combo just not the same? Do you mean because the external monitor is not a retina screen like the iMac?

12. Vladislav macrumors regular

I dont understand people who buying rMBP and using crappy 1080 extrenal monitor with it! Thats the main feature of this notebook - retina screen! and you just completely missing it by connecting extrernal screen. (unless its a 4k screen, but i doubt it, too expensive still)

13. redheeler, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

When I got my 15'' rMPB the iMacs were out-of-date (that was before the thin redesign). It turned out that most of the time I was just using it as a desktop, so I waited for a Retina desktop machine. I recently upgraded to a Retina iMac and am loving it.

I forgot to mention the rMBP was also my first Mac.

14. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

There is a rats nest of cables (monitor cables, not enough USB ports on rMBP resulting in additional cables, etc.). My best screen is not the main screen. I have occasional wake from sleep issues with the external monitor. I needed a bigger desk.

My original idea was to set the rMBP to the largest work area, which would match my old iMac at 1920x1200, but it was too small to use for long periods.

My 1920x1200 monitor was £100 second hand at a time when any 4K monitor was over £2000 and not supported at 60Hz. I'm not buying a 4K monitor now as it would be money that could be used towards a retina iMac.

I was waiting for a long time, but my old iMac could no longer run a new enough OS X for the version of Xcode I needed for App Store submissions. I am almost entirely using my rMBP as a desktop. I will switch to a retina iMac when I can afford it.