Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jondunford, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

is a retina iMac coming out?

i am thinking of purchasing one but i will hold on or go for a new mac pro if this is not the case.

2. Bear macrumors G3

The only people who know the answer to that are at Apple and they're not talking.

I'm not sure an iMac needs a Retina screen. I also don't think there's a video card that would be good enough for Retina on an iMac. And I know I don't want to pay the price that a Retina screen that large would cost.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

iMac was only refreshed in September. If there was one coming out, it won't be until next year (approx same time). Perhaps a 4K display? :D

4. tbolt11 macrumors member

retina displays cost $3k+

a 4k display in iMac next year would be a stretch but if anyone can pull it off....

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

LOL this is a rumors site, no one here knows except Apple so your best option is to continue keeping track of Apple news.

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The price would be very high, and I have found that the first generation of retina devices never have enough power to push the display. iPhone 4 was not 4X as GPU powerful as 3GS, rMBP was not 4X, iPad 3 was only 2X more powerful but 4 X the no. of pixels. You would have to wait a year after if you can.

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Retina will eventually make it to the iMac, but as others have said, the benefit will be limited and it may take some time for the other hardware to catch up.

There is a reason why Apple first introduced the retina on devices held 1' from your eyes (iPhone), then devices held 2' away (iPad), and then the rMBP (3'). The current 27" display on the iMac is maybe not quite retina, but still extremely high resolution, and I don't see the need or really the benefit of doubling up all the pixels until mid-range kit can drive it without a sweat.

David