Retina iMacs, double the display resolution ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, May 15, 2012.

1. Jay9495 macrumors regular

The upcoming iMacs are reportedly going to feature "retina displays" and will most likely be released around WWDC time, June 11th-15th. These at the rumored resolutions below

21.5 inch
    Original resolution 1920x1080
    Retina resolution 3840x2400

27 inch
    Original resolution 2560x1440
    Retina resolution 5120x2880

These resolutions, sure would be nice, but highly unnecessary, especially if they don't put in a GPU to support it, it would be a hassle to do any graphic intensive stuff. And they don't really need to "double" the resolution, maybe just bump it up a bit, well these are my opinions, post your thoughts below.

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Yes they would definitely need a more powerful gpu however it would be worth it!

3. washburn macrumors 6502

how would current apps look? would everything have to optimized for the high res?

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yeah, I would love it, it isn't completely a deal breaker, but as I have said before, I would be willing to pay a lot extra for a 27" (or whatever the biggest one they make is) retina iMac. It would just be awesome. I wouldn't stop looking at it. 

5. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Ugg looks like more waiting, but for a cool reason. Just glad to see mac news

Also just because reports say the mbp may use nvidia again, doesnt mean anything for the imac. 7970m still seems logical. Hell what if mac pro is dead and theres an imac pro with retina and desktop gpu

6. Jay9495 thread starter macrumors regular

Hell what if mac pro is dead and theres an imac pro with retina and desktop gpu[/QUOTE]

My dream

7. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

retina isn quadrupling the resolutions. we will just get a bump in resolutions, 27' to 3840x2400, why is it so hard to wrap your head around it? sharp is the one producing large igzo displays at 3840x2400

8. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

Yes, I can't see how anyone would make a display above 4k. Would be great with a 4k display.

Just because :apple: has doubled the ppi for iPhone and iPad when going to "retina" that is no reason for them to keep that logic for other products.

9. Jay9495 thread starter macrumors regular

Did any of youse read the article ? These aren't my facts
    And I didn't say anything about "quadrupling"'I said "doubling" which is what the article stated

10. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

First, i was not jumping on you personally, i just dont believe in a quadrupled ppi for imac 27". Secondly, the article is wrong. You don't double the resolution when you take 2x both the x- and y-axis, you quadruple. Simple 2x2=4.

Anyhow, the article is pure speculation, and does not have to be correct. I think that going beyond 4k is just not happening, creating HiDpi is already a stretch in my mind...

11. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Doubling in both directions means you quadruple the total number of pixels.

Let's say that your initial resolution is x pixels in one direction and y pixels in the other. That means your resolution is xy pixels. Then you double in both directions to 2x by 2y, which multiplies to 4xy pixels, i.e. 4 times your initial resolution.

12. Jay9495 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know the article is just speculation, and I also believe going above 4k is a huge waste, and already considering that 1440p on the imac is already retina from a certain distance, it's a huge, huge waste. :)
    And I don't have a clue about doubling the pixels or whatever ;)
    I just stated what the article said so people could see it :)

13. leman macrumors 604

This would be so pointless. Anyway, its just a fantasy as the display panels with such resolutions simply can't be made economically.

14. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

but the 3840x2160 is being made economically and is probably being bought by apple to be used in 27' mac.

it all makes sense now, long overdue of macs, anti-glare and redesign rumors, macbooks getting them...

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How would a higher resolution appear on a 27" imac? Things are already looking extremely small (bordering on being uncomfortable). Are they going to look even more microscopic? :confused:

16. leman macrumors 604

Yes, and they cost around 20000$...

17. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

source?

im talking about sharp igzo panels

18. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

The iPad didn't get more expensive with retina, so why should the iMac?

19. leman macrumors 604

Wikipedia lists these currently available 4k displays and beamers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

I very much doubt that Sharp has managed to cut production costs tenfold and more. If they did, cool.

----------

Because its one thing to build a 9" hi-rez panel, and quite another one to do the same with a 30".

20. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There's a wholly different reason that such high-resolution displays might be "pointless".

Imagine a 27" iMac display with twice the resolution as the current one. Would that render 12-point text 1/2 the size that it currently is? (assuming "native" resolution) Who's going to be able to read it, unless they double its size -- and (in effect) "reduce the resolution" of the entire screen by 1/2?

For older users in particular, this will create problems. Many have a difficult time reading standard-sized (i.e. 12 or 14 point) text at normal resolutions on current displays...

21. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

you can forget 4k resolutions

these are the displays going into macs
    those are sample sizes...

22. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Retina iMacs in the sense as we know it are NOT happening. They would have to quadruple the price to quadruple the resolution on a current 27".

Now a resolution bump of some kind is doable and likely, but nothing near 5k I assure you.

That being said, I'm picking one up the day they are announced ;)

23. dmorgan macrumors member

I for one am actually disappointed to hear this.

I play Blizzard games on my Mac, and increasing the resolution by this much means the GPU will need to be a lot more powerful to be able to run games in full screen mode, with the same performance as a 2011 iMac.

Might just buy the '11 model...

24. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

The 32" "for LCD screens" is what is popularly called 4k. What makes this link saying "forget 4k resolutions"? It is possible for LCD screens and thus also probably for PCs. It is a matter of cost and scale.

25. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

smartie, where do you see 4k resolutions on that link?