Retina iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by necromorph, Jun 8, 2012.

?

Will the new iMacs incorporate retinal technology?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2012.
  1. Yes

25.8%
  2. No

74.2%
  1. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

Will the new iMacs incorporate retinal technology?

2. Crazy82 macrumors member

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

21-27" retina needs more time in the oven. Next year.

4. mattg3 macrumors 6502

I voted no because its too early but I will not upgrade till it does show up.It will be amazing.

5. DopeZilla macrumors member

Based on the price leaks, I'm going to say no. The high-end 15 inch MBP saw a significant price raise (can't be assed pulling up the spreadsheet, but wasn't it by $500?). I can see that being retina. But the high-end iMac only saw a raise of $200. For a bigger screen I'd expect the raise to be higher than that of a retina MBP. I'm hoping for a slight res bump, but nothing like the 2x res jump some people have been touting.

All speculation of course, but I'm on the negative.

(please prove me wrong Apple)

6. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

I vote no

FWIW,

Higher Rez LCD's are one thing, posters keeping referring to 'RETINA", a marketing ploy by Apple that just means higher resolution LCD panels - be these 4in, 8in, 10in, 11in, 13in on 15in - could Apple actually state clearly how many Pixels per square inch, regardless of how far away you are from the screen, constitutes RETINA - basically its all over the show.

Hence could we refer to higher pixel density per square inch or square centimetre, which effectively means that for this incarnation of the iMac given price associated with higher pixel count density means RENINA is a no go - of course unless its a BTO option for an additional say US$800, in which case its a maybe for those mad enough to pay for marketing hype at this stage in the game.

7. Randomoneh, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

Randomoneh macrumors regular

Randomoneh

Basically, for Apple it's angular resolution of 60 pixels per degree at normal viewing distance. Farther you are, angular resolution of display is higher. For iPhone at 12'', angular resolution is 69 pixels per degree.

At normal contrast levels, humans have angular resolution of anywhere up to 120 pixels per degree. However, it's worth to note that according to Japanese NHK study, average people were able to detect difference in quality of images up to even 310 pixels per degree!

It's not really "retinal technology".

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'm going with yes because they're already near "retina", so a slight bump will put them there.

9. thisperson macrumors newbie

I think it all depends on what you class as retina, a lot constitutes, but i doubt i if you mean 2x the resolution, I don't think it's practical, or necessary, but i think that it could be a BTO option, but at a high cost.

10. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I class the current iMac screens as "retina".

11. thisperson macrumors newbie

Then yes, when the next iMac is released it will be retina

12. Apple souce macrumors member

this

13. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Has anyone thought about how "inconvenient" it would be to have dead pixel issues on a 27" retina iMac?

14. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

probably wouldn't even notice a single dead pixel

15. LaWally macrumors 6502a