Retina iPad 2 HD Cancelled?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Sep 29, 2011.

1. OSMac, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Zcott, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

Zcott macrumors 68020

Your [original unedited] post is misleading. If you read the article, the analyst says:

This doesn't mean there will be no retina display/HD iPad. This means the Retina/HD variant of the iPad 2 has been cancelled. When you combine with the following quote:

This would suggest the retina display iPad 2 was cancelled and the technology put to use in the iPad 3.

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

4. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I really haven't seen any data that Retina is technologically feasible in the iPad form factor without heat and battery life and cost issues.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I follow all Apple news reports very closely. That said I take them with a grain of salt. Whenever any news, rumors, or speculation involves Apple, one has to be cautious because they are a polarizing company. Good, bad or otherwise, everyone acts like an expert, and many are possessed with the same narcissism as Apples old CEO. They all seek attention.

With Apple you can't trust anything till you see it for yourself. It's anyone's guess what Apple is up to, and sometimes I wonder what they are thinking when they make the choices they do. However I do know the answer to that one, it's all about the money. Apples high on bragging rights and clever ways to extract maximum profit from every move they make.

One look at their balance sheet proves they are the worlds best at raking it in. Beyond that they don't want to be bothered. It's all about being special.

6. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Clarified it's the iPad 2 HD reported as cancelled, good point Zcott.

I'm not sure that means a HD display will be in the iPad 3 instead?

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Late january? Who are they trying to smoke? This would seriously piss off the crowd who bought an ipad2 for christmas! :confused:

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Both iPad and iPad 2 were released not long after Xmas. iPad 2 announcement was March 2nd. That's really only 2 months after Xmas. Releasing iPad 3 in the first quarter of 2012 seems on par for Apple.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Post hard data that it isn't.

10. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The article contains all sorts of speculation that has never ever been reported on this rumor-evaluation site. MR has not reported on a January 2012 launch for the iPad.

So far, the MR staff is ignoring these predictions. Why do you think your source is accurate? If you want to vet your source, find out what iPad and iPhone sales they predicted for Apple's FY11 Q4. Apple's quarter ended on 9/26/11 and will be reported at the close of markets on October 18. If you publish their numbers now in this thread, we can all see how good this source is in 2.5 weeks.

....and while you're at it, TallManNY, please post hard data that alien species have never visited our planet. :rolleyes:

@TallManNY's point is indeed valid. While Apple's restriction to double the x and y pixel density helps smooth the transition to a new device, quadrupling the pixel density presents all sorts of technological challenges. The display, processor, and battery systems will all be taxed with that higher-resolution display. It is a leap beyond what anyone is doing now, and it's a massive engineering challenge. IMHO, the biggest challenge will be preserving battery life performance benchmark of the existing iPads. Not only must the tech exist, it must be cost-effictive to mass-produce the technology into products.

I have no idea what proof you are asking for; @TallManNY is saying that nobody has demonstrated the technical feasibility ... yet. The proof that such tech is feasible will be the existence of a product.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

They're a corporation with shareholders, just like all their competitors. If you haven't yet noticed, the whole point of all their existence is maximizing profitability. Why would you think otherwise?