iPad Retina ipad mini - observations

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BenedictJT, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BenedictJT macrumors newbie

I thought I would add my observations around the retina mini having received mine today (16gb LTE model, via Three UK). I previously owned a 1st gen mini, and recently traded in my older iPad 3 for an iPad Air. The good news first, especially with the amount of threads going on via this forum - the screen on mine is great - no yellow or blue discolouration, shadow, backlight bleed etc. So that was a relief! The comments regarding the colour / vibrancy are founded. It's essentially the same as the first gen mini - good, but not the colour vibrancy of the Air. I haven't found it has negatively impacted my usage of it so far, especially when coupled with the benefits of the retina screen in terms of clarity of text and detail of images over the 1st gen.

The extra thickness is actually slightly more noticeable than I thought it would be but not enough for it to feel significantly different in use. I was also a bit worried about the weight increase, especially as I was going from a wifi first gen to a LTE 2nd gen, but for me it's a fairly minimal difference - it's perfectly fine to use one handed.

It does get a bit warm, most noticeably when doing an iCloud restore where it is obviously working a bit harder.

In the main though, I'm really pleased and would hope this gives some reassurance to those waiting for theirs. There are clearly 'good' models out there and so it isn't all doom and gloom! :)

2. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

I'll second that. My rMini is perfect within the tolerances you listed (gamut). Not having anything to do a side-by-side comparison against most of the time you don't notice but the reviews and stats aren't lying in my opinion. It doesn't change my opinion of it one jot though - BEST iPad I've ever owned or used :D

A

3. nehope macrumors member

Thrilled with mine. I fell in love with my first mini and got rid of my iPad 3 within a few months of buying it. The only thing I needed to make the mini perfect was the retina screen and I've got that plus a whole lot more now.