• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Retina iPad Mini - One feature you wish you could have

• Touch ID

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Full color gamut/brighter display

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Better iSight/FaceTime HD cameras

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Lighter weight

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • More battery life

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • More iOS features for iPad

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Cheaper price for more storage/LTE model

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Apple solved the major issue with the original iPad mini with a Retina display. More RAM and a fast A7 chip were also added. Faster Wi-Fi, more LTE, and the regular stuff.

What's still missing besides those?

Last edited:

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I still think the iPads should have shipped with 2GB of RAM.

Other than that, ever since I've had mine, I've been lamenting the fact that it doesn't have Touch ID. I've become so accustomed to it on my 5s, that I find myself holding the home button on the mini, waiting for it to unlock.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
More RAM would be my vote, followed closely by the color gamut. But I'm also a professional designer and photographer, so I have reason to actually care. But as I'm not planning on doing color work on my Mini (unless Adobe launches the Lightroom for iPad that they're working on), I'll be ok with the Mini for now.

Actually, my rMini just came in the door. Literally, UPS guy just delivered it to my office as I was typing this. Color looks pretty good coming from an iPad 2 previously. I don't think it will be a huge issue for me, and definitely not for most people.

Comment

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I actually don't mind that the rMini doesn't have Touch ID. It is a bit weird going from my 5s to my rMini, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Plus, my iPhone goes with me everywhere. My rMini basically stays at home, so I really don't have the need for Touch ID on my tablet.

Other than that, I kind of wish Apple stuck with the $330 pricing on the rMini. I don't believe Apple raised the price of the iPhone 4 when it was introduced to replace the 3GS. But again, the $70 difference obviously didn't deter me in purchasing the rMini.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Other than that, ever since I've had mine, I've been lamenting the fact that it doesn't have Touch ID. I've become so accustomed to it on my 5s, that I find myself holding the home button on the mini, waiting for it to unlock.

What's funny is that since I always use a Smartcover style case I almost never slide to unlock.

Comment

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
I want a 256GB model.

I have a very large music collection, which up to now I've been loading on an aging iPod Classic. I could load it all (barely) on a 128GB model, but it would leave me no room for anything else, or for additions to my collection. I can get by with a new genre "Do Not Sync" and syncing the rest of the collection by genre, but I'm still close to limits at 128GB.

I don't think that Apple will ever sell a 128GB iPod Touch, so the mini seems to be as close to a replacement for my iPod Classic as I'll ever see. And yes, it does function very well as an "iPod Touch Maxi", better than the actual iPod Touch that I keep around for app development and testing.

Comment

colodane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Guess I'm greedy, but I want 3 things:

802.11ac

More RAM

Rear camera including flash and same specs as iPhone 5s

Comment

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
TouchID, hands down. I've gotten so used to it on my 5S that I'm constantly clicking the home button on my rMini, and holding it there a second thinking it'll unlock. :-|

Comment

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
full gamut... I returned mine cos' it just kept bugging me. seriously +$20 would have been the extra panel cost... Would have happily paid that for the benefit of a decnt looking screen

Comment

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
or to put it another way...reds that look red not washed out orange.

sorry ...but it really is such a flaw when compared to my ipad 4.

Comment

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'd like a mini that worked fully as a phone. Not just voice over ip, but with an antenna, that could do anything a cell phone could do. That would give me one less device to carry around.

Comment

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
gamut of course lol...but seriously, given how much more likely the mini will be taken outside, I think Touch ID is a huge feature that is missing. I predict gold being added as well haha. The usual hardware upgrades will come I suspect, like the RAM/proc, wireless etc.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.