Retina is simply amazing...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBug2, Aug 4, 2012.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

I bought one 2 weeks ago, and yesterday I bought the top of the line 15" regular MBP for a friend of mine since I was visiting USA and it's cheaper there than EU. I opened it up to be sure that the device works before I bring it to the EU.

And omg. After using the retina for 2 weeks, I couldn't even look at the regular screen of 15", which is the anti glare high res screen built to order. It seemed so extremely pixelated and and just worse on all aspects.

And this is coming from someone who already had a 17" MBP with high res screen since 2007. Just 2 weeks use of the retina and I can't look at the older MBP screens now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, its a great screen and in sense will only get better as more apps become retina compatible

3. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Right now only 2 of my apps aren't retina compatible. Some others "look" ok due to having not many icons and text already scales nicely. So apart from 2 apps which look horrible, it's already looking good. The websites won't be probably updated for a while but that's really not something I care about.

4. Drask macrumors regular

Yea, it is. Whenever I spend the whole day at my rMBP and then go back to my 27" iMac I see quite a difference, mostly in text, then forget about it, and if I go back to the laptop I'm like "Wow, nice screen" all over again.

5. DTKblaster macrumors member

When using OSX for the first few hours, it was clearly much sharper than my 96 DPI Dell U2412, but nothing drastic. Loading up windows 7 at native res for the first time.....I almost fell off my chair! It was only then that pixel density truly hit me.

Also jumping onto a vanilla WoW server, and seeing the insane amount of detail, even on distant objects, absolutely stunning.

I've tested a few games, but non so far look as amazingly different than the exaggerated art style of wow (although full resolution Zelda: The Windwaker with its cell shading came pretty close in the dolphin emulator). The half a decade old wow version 1.12 still runs 60fps at max, even with a little AA.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I've gone in to the Apple Store with the intention of buying a rMBP, but whenever I try it I just can't seem to reconcile losing the two inches of real-estate from the 2011 AG 17".

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So do you want a larger screen as less pixel density or smaller screen at greater pixel density? Give me a Retina Ipad and MBP every time.

8. appletechpro macrumors regular

I think it's an amazing screen (I just got mine on Monday). I also own a 2011 MBP.

My only issue with the rMBP so far is the lack of screen brightness -- I like my screens pretty bright. I'm using full brightness on my rMBP while typing this and the brightness is barely satisfactory.

It's actually difficult to work with a rMBP and other Apple product side by side. For instance, my TB display has WAY more brightness than my rMBP, and I find myself straining on the rMBP a bit.

Anyone else feel the same?

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Well, it's still relatively high PPI. I have an iPad 3, but on the Pro, I don't know; I just don't see the benefits as being on the same scale as they are with the iPad.

Also, I don't necessarily think everyone would agree on wanting a smaller screen with higher pixel density. 1920x1200 on the 15" screen wasn't a particular joy to use from a reading perspective, but of course, it's nice to have that option regardless.

10. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

It has about the same brightness as my 2009 17" MBP. I think people coming from 15" will be disappointed with brightness since 17" always had less brightness than the 15", so for me there was no difference in brightness. But contrast is much better.

11. wassal43 macrumors member

if you can post some pictures it will be highly appreciated