Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcp72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Hi everybody. I'm posting this here since I couldn't find a better sub-forum for computer problems. It turns out that my boyfriend left his new 15-inch retina on our bed before leaving for work and I, unbeknownst to this, jumped at the bed and sent the mac flying a couple of inches away. It never fell to the floor though, and the lid was closed. Still, I'm kinda worried since it made a loud noise upon bouncing on the hardcover book that he uses beneath the mac to keep it ventilated. To top this off I also found some cat paw marks on the lid (!!!)

I know, one shouldn't treat so casually something so expensive, but I just can't keep my mind off of it. Do you think such an impact could have hurt the display or other components? Perhaps the screen film is now bent/warped? I'm afraid to even open the computer and check!!!

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
They are quite durable and well build. Open it and turn it on to check the screen.
If worse comes to the worse, blame your pet for knocking it on the floor. ;)

rcp72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Haha, yes I should blame the cat, but I keep my fingers crossed that I shall not resort to that (lesson to everybody on this forum: don't leave your computer unattended on your beds!).

I opened the lid and there's no apparent damage to the screen, no dead pixels, no warping, etc. I am seeing the letters a bit less sharp than before, with more pronounced pixels, but this is most likely because I'm a bit paranoid (this is an expensive machine after all!). I've read that most parts on the retina are soldered so this probably means the machine is safe, right?

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Depending upon how heavy your cat is, maybe the extra weight squished the keys into the screen... I know that happened with my 13" MBP and cleaning it was a necessary headache. Oddly my cat never wants to sit on/near a Thinkpad, maybe you should use a Thinkpad in bed as a beater/cat scratch notebook ;) :D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Do you think such an impact could have hurt the display or other components? Perhaps the screen film is now bent/warped? I'm afraid to even open the computer and check!!!

As others have said, it's most likely fine. It doesn't have any moving parts(aside from the fans) so a bump isn't going to hurt it.

rcp72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Thanks a lot guys. Luckily my overweight cat doesn't like metallic and cold surfaces, so I can imagine he didn't put his whole weight over the mac (I guess different cats for different tastes). Now I'm pretty sure the computer's alright. Regards!

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Thanks a lot guys. Luckily my overweight cat doesn't like metallic and cold surfaces, so I can imagine he didn't put his whole weight over the mac (I guess different cats for different tastes). Now I'm pretty sure the computer's alright. Regards!

LOL my cat loves to sit on my MacBook....I try to prevent it but he always seems to end up on it:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.