Retina, Loose track pad...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IanGahagan, Aug 1, 2012.

1. IanGahagan macrumors member

If I lightly touch the pad it makes a loud clicking noise like something is loose. any ideas on what I should do? and its not the clicking noise as if you push the trackpad down the whole way. Is there any way to repair this without sending it to apple for 2 weeks?

2. markp99 macrumors member

I'd bet this cannot be repaired without replacing the entire top side of the RMBP's body. The batteries are glued to the backside of trackpad.

You may be able to finagle Apple to ship out a replacement topside, and let them do the swap at the Applestore once it has arrived. I imagine that repair/swap would not take long in trained hands.

3. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

4. hellstorm12345 macrumors newbie

Funny, I have this too on my cMPB 15. It's towards the lower middle of my touchpad, though the sound is hard to describe.

5. kirky1234 macrumors member

Hi there,

Have a similar issue. If I push the back of my macbook, it feels a bit flexible like there's ca. 1 mm space between the unibody and the internals. If I push softly, it feels/sounds like I'm scratching on the internal components and I fear to damage them. Kind of worries me a bit, although it could be absolutely normal. The longer I use the laptop (maybe because it runs hotter) the more flexibel it gets. Nothing drastic, just wanted to know if other rMBP users are experiencing the same? Or is it totally normal?

6. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

I bought it about a month ago.

7. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Seen on my 2011 MBP. Its harmless.

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I had this issue on 2 rMBPs that I exchanged of the 8 units I replaced. I'm not too sure if it was due to the solution I applied to install the wrapsol skin protector but it was easily reproducible after frequent usage of the trackpad. It would make a clicking sound every time I gently tapped onto the right side of the trackpad and it felt like there were two layers contracting to each other. It drived me nuts and I couldn't accept it anymore so I went to the Apple store. Upon the discussion with the Genius bar, the option I received for the 2nd unit that had this problem was to replace the entire upper unibody since the battery and trackpad is one component. So I would advise taking it to the Genius bar and have them check it up than ask for a replacement unibody, which will probably take a week to deliver and 1-2 days to repair.

9. katmeef macrumors 6502

Noticed the same with mine, lots of flex in the top cover along with a sound sort of like metallic crickets. It was happening when picking up the machine near the rear-center of the backside, or when pushing slightly on the aluminum between the keyboard keys. Went into the Genius bar yesterday to see if it was loose screws and he told me it needed a top case and possibly bottom case replacement to fix it properly, and I would be without the machine for 5-7 days for the repair.

Fortunately it is still within the 14 days so I called Apple to arrange a return (they can't take BTO returns in the Canadian Apple Retail stores), and they had a shiny ultimate rMBP in stock that I grabbed. Cost a bit for the upgrade from 2.6/16/512 to 2.7/16/768, but I decided it was well worth it compared to putting myself through the horrid wait for another BTO.

10. JD92, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  11. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

This being my first ever Mac I had no clue that this was a pre existing issue, thats sad that they never addressed this being there next gen laptop model... But being in Montana I dont have an apple store near by so I will have to ship it in myself.

12. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

I dropped my RMBP off at my Apple certified ITC center at my Uni and they are goint to take a look at it free of charge. they also say that there is a way to remove the battery in the RMBP to get to the trackpad just as an fyi that was shocking to me.

13. kirky1234 macrumors member

Took mine to an Official apple reseller and compared it to other rMBP's which didn't have this issue, so they took a look at it and couldn't find a solution. Sending it in now and will give a feedback as soon as it returns.

14. diffyg macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and took mine in to the apple store and this is what they said (it can be fixed on the classic models). Also they'll probably try to retighten the case but they said it's within accepted manufacturing limits so they can't offer a replacement.

15. kirky1234 macrumors member

Assuming you did not get your rmbp back yet, could you report if they were able to fix the problem, if you do? Would be great, thanks.
    I think its weird, that they put that under "accepted manufacturing limits". I paid 2500.- dollars + apple care, they send me a product which behaves not as intended and if I want it to get replaced, they won't do that... Expected more to tell the truth. Of course its a minor issue, compared to ghosting etc. but nevertheless it bothers me, because the machine doesn't feel as strong and robust as those machines without this problem do. I feel like they should replace it if I want that / if it's necessary.

16. katmeef macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear you didnt get a replacement, fortunately it happened to me within 14 days so i just returned it and bought another.

Just curious do you use the machine sitting between your legs and belly as I was doing? Think that position may have caused my case to warp and the noises to start, as my next one started doing it a few days later as well. Luckilly it also failed the apple hadware test so I have yet another, I'm trying to avoid to sit this one on any funny angles while I work.

17. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

update

Actually yesterday my Universities ITC took it apart and told me they could do nothing about it. as I was walking out to my car I noticed that the heads of the two screws closest to the vents were stripped by the guys at my Uni so i called apple and they referred me to another Guy in town and he's not certified to work on RMBP's so i called Apple again and they are shipping me a box tomorrow to get it fixed officially, the trackpad, screws and whatever else ITC may have messed up inside. I'm about at my wits end with this ordeal. I have to say Apple was very apologetic about the issue and that they would take care of all the problems quickly.