Retina lust -- how could one curb it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Ever since WWDC 2012, I've craved the Retina. Two problems. One, I have a fully functional Early-2011 13", zippy and responsive with the SSDs and RAM I've fed her. The second problem is that I don't have any money.

I've never been one to chase technology, but putzing around with my sister's Retina refurb and the ones in the store, only fan the flames of lust. I'm meticulous when it comes to upgrading, as I'm wont to upgrade once every 6 years -- use your machine 'til it dies mentality. Upgrading a three year old machine seems a little frivolous to me, especially one that is so peppy. The Powerbook G4 from which I upgraded was not friends with many websites.

Getting around the money situation. My parents are educators (discount). I've looked into winning one. A cursory Google search unspools a wealth of spam sites for that end.

Anyway, this is nothing but idle musings. I'll stand by my older, less sexy but still great machine. I like people who show allegiance to their aging machines and help the environment by only upgrading when need be.

But, 220 dpi. Sigh.

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Could always get a retina iPad to curb the appetite ;)

But I feel you. I still have my first mid-2009 MBP, but it's just not the same as my newer rMBP. Sure, it's also running Mavericks and has the same amount of RAM, but I definitely notice the display difference. I also still have an HDD in the 09. But it seemed like it was time to upgrade, although my 09 seems to have a second wind now.

I would bet that retina will still be around in three years, or Apple will have something even more spectacular. But you shouldn't hold yourself to a six year cycle if you really need to retire the machine you have.

3. Marty62 macrumors 6502

That's a nasty case of "G.A.S" you got there Applegoat :)
    ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome )

Lusting is very normal, but I am like you in that I generally have my Macs
    for a minimum of three years and more often 5 years.
    For the kind of outlay required on such a device, that's cool.

If however there is an issue or some "tax break" that offers a chance to get
    the latest "doo-hickey" earlier, then I'm all for it !!

I'm very happy with my late 2011 MBP quad 2,4 / 8Gb /EVO 750Gb SSD

MM.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You need to factor in the advantages of the one that you have. It is nice, to me, to have Gigabit Ethernet, FW800, and a SuperDrive always available.

I have taken my MacBook Air to a few places only to realize I left the Thunderbolt --> Gigabit Ethernet adapter at home or at the office. I don't have to worry about this with the standard MacBook Pro. Your machine has several benefits over the retina. I would keep it and use it until it will no longer meet your needs.

Also, the machine that you have, I expect, will not be in production much longer. Considering it is the only Apple computer that is made in their entire lineup that has a SuperDrive, and hearing Schiller's explanation about they "want to move away" from optical drives, I have a feeling that it is just a matter of time until the standard 13" will cease production only leaving Airs and Pros with retina displays.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

you could have a look at all the threads here where people complain about image retention and yellow screens on the retinas. I'm sure that will help a bit.

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Retina means nothing to some people, my parents have a iPad mini 1, tried to show them the difference with retina in ibooks next to my Air, Dad reckons his is better;)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2 options come to mind,

1. Relax and be content with your current set up (not always easy).
    2. Save up and get a rMBP yourself. If you don't have a job get one, if you do, start stashing away the money.

Since you already stated that current setup is adequate, I suggest that you save up and wait it out. Then when the time is right, sell your current laptop, use that to help fund the new laptop

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

A couple months ago, a Retina iPad Mini piqued my interest ... but that lasted for about a day. I have an iPhone 5 but Macs are what get me.

One thing which bothers me about upgrading in a few years (when I should) is that I will do so the last update before the next major redesign and wind up kicking myself.

----------

Lol true -- I wonder who can diagnose me?

That's a nice machine you have -- you should be happy.

----------

Good way of looking it -- although I took the Superdrive out. Then again, having two drives in your system has its virtues.

----------

If I were in the position to purchase a Retina MacBook, those threads would not deter me the least bit. I take it some people have a problem but I do suspect it's a case of the aggrieved minority barking the loudest because the many without a problem don't have a reason to do so.

If I did get a problematic unit, I could always exchange it.

----------

True -- but I, and many here, can very much tell the difference.

----------

I have a job but I have bills up the arse and I'd be delusional to consider whatever unbound money as discretionary.

The financially prudent side of me will prevail. This thread was merely a verbal reverie for the Retina MacBook which I have no immediate intention of purchasing.

9. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Sell your current macbook pro, you can get at least $700-800 from it. You can also buy a refurbished retina macbook pro, it's like $1099 for the 2012 model, and the macbook pro looks totally new, it just doesn't come with the original box.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Get on with life as if Retina doesn't exist. After a week you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

Try it.

11. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a consideration -- though the $1099 model you cite has half the storage and memory I'm looking for. And, to make the upgrade worth my while, I'd be more apt to swing for the 15" model. I can't afford it so therefore I won't do it.

----------

Tried that. A wise man once said, wait two weeks before buying something and then see if you still want it. I've wanted a Retina MacBook for far longer than 2 weeks. I just need to get my priorities in order. The responses here have been helpful.

12. Marty62 macrumors 6502

When I have a case of "GAS" coming on, I just take a moment of calm with a cup of tea and
    ask myself the following questions:

Do I NEED it ? (meaning, does what I have now NOT do what I need it to do)

Will it change/improve my life ? (meaning, will I earn more money/work faster/ be more creative with it)

If those questions don't throw up an immediate "YES" then it's a NO ... whether I have the money or not.

Just an extra 2c's from me :)
    ( sounds like your 13in is a pretty zippy machine to be honest )

Regards,

Martin.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand, I feel the same way about the new Mac Pro, but there's no way in heaven that I'll be spending that kind of money on the computer.

Still, don't discount the idea of shoveling a little money away at a time, especially if you have the opportunity for direct deposit. Either way, I can empathize with your situation.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Try harder.

Who's in charge here? You or the marketing guys?

15. jakespeed macrumors member

Back when i wanted a new car, i would buy something for my car...new tires, wheels, a hula girl for the dash (ok not that one).

Now i do the same. When i get antsy for a new macbook, its time to get a new look. Gelaskin, iCarbons or many others give it a new look. Combine that with a complete reinstall of OSX (for no reason what so ever) and a fancy wallpaper and its good for at least another 2 months of GAS relief.

16. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

The idea of having it is better than actually having it.
    The fastest way you could get one is to justify it. The best reason I can think of is to get into something that requires it, like photography or something.