Retina Mac Gaming Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrPenguiny, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MrPenguiny, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

MrPenguiny macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have never owned a Macbook Pro, but I have the 2009 iMac. I am really wanting a new one now and I am a casual gamer. I play League of Legends (iLoL for Mac), Diablo 3 (eventually), StarCraft 2, Minecraft, and I just recently bought lots of games in the Summer Steam Sale that I can't wait to play on my new mac. I have the worst graphics card of all time so I am waiting until now to get a mac that has the best one a macbook can offer as they are almost impossible to change a graphics card in a mac unless it is the desktop tower version. I also am going to go to a college for about 4 years and then another college for about 6. Both colleges I will be using my mac to do lots of things for things like school, recording my screen, movie making, and gaming. So now I need to know. Should I get a retina mac with these specs:

Macbook Pro with Retina Display:
    2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    768GB Flash Storage
    $3,484

Or a New Macbook Pro:
    2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    512GB Solid State Drive
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    $3,798

Or what should I change to meet my requirement and carry me on into the future a ways.

TREMENDOUS THANKS!

-Kenneth

P.S. If virtual Windows like Parellels or VMware Fusion doesn't work for me then I will Bootcamp it. Incase that makes a difference in anything.

2. arashb macrumors 6502

Well it seems like you have money to spend, why not the 2.7 GHz on the retina MBP? According to Geekbench the two should be very close to identical, you probably won't notice a difference performance wise.

If you record your screen on the retina display, at retina resolution, nobody will want to view your videos because the writing will be so small. But then again I don't think many games, or the gpu, will support retina resolutions too nicely so you'll probably be playing at a lower resolution anyways.

But honestly, the two are pretty much alike, especially if you're getting such a top of the line rMBP. The ram is not changeable but the storage is.

and a note, it's not almost impossible to change the graphics card... it IS impossible. But this isn't because it's a macbook, it's because it's a laptop. You can't change any laptops graphics card, they're usually stuck to the board, along with the cpu.

----------

honestly, you're just comparing apples to oranges now. the two are pretty much dead on the same. Do you want a beautiful screen or do you want a cd drive?

3. stevedusa macrumors regular

First of all, I am sure I'll get bashed for this, but in general, gaming and OS X/Mac don't usually work well together. If gaming is critical to you, may I suggest you check out the other platform.

As for your question, I think you would experience better FPS with the non-retina MBP running at native res if you are going to get the high-res (1680x1050). Now the FPS might be the same if you scale it down to the same on the Retina MBP, but it might not look as sharp as say 1920x1080 or even native, but then your FPS is going to take a huge hit.

It's your choice honestly, light and beautiful screen? Retina, however your might need to sacrifice some performance and quality on the gaming department.

I'd go with a non-Retina MBP if I were you.

4. MrPenguiny thread starter macrumors newbie

@arashb
    You are right on the videos, I would be playing the games in much lower resolutions then the native rMBP. And for changing graphics card, I meant the only mac that is able to is the Mac Pro (not macbook pro), at least I think.

If both are pretty much the same then, ya I think the Retina Mac would be better idea just for the pure awesomeness of it. But apparently there are lots of screen bugs and stuff. I am willing to try it out though.

Thanks for posting! :)

5. arashb macrumors 6502

No problem but read a little more about the retina. People who use it for gaming are bootcamping into Windows, which is the best way, but are then are running it at 1440x900 resolution and using 149% pixel density I believe. They say it looks sharp but I don't have a retina so I won't know. So for your purpose I think you shouldn't even install any games on your OS X side. Bootcamp a Windows partition, no parallels or VMWare, and have that just for your games because on your OS X side you will want to use retina. :]

6. stevedusa macrumors regular

I'm running D3 on the OS X (10.8 GM) on a base RMBP, at 1680x1050 res, with effects turned on high. Prior to the FPS display patch I can get average 35-42 FPS, lowest at 27-ish. After the patch the FPS is slightly better but I can't tell since they disabled the FPS display function.

At 1920x1080, all above number drops about 5-7, acceptable but if I turn effects down to medium or even off (Low-FX), the FPS increases to above 40 without much effort.

Didn't try Bootcamp though, I do have a desktop for gaming (2011 Mac Pro).

7. andybrown44 macrumors regular

Whatever you do I would definitely recommend using Bootcamp for gaming. Startup times on the retina are so good you won't mind having to reboot to switch OSes.

I've been using the Retina 2.3 with 16GB for gaming on Windows 7 and am very happy with its performance. Make sure you get 64 bit Windows (32 bit can only use about 3.5GB of RAM).

8. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I run all games whether on Windows boot camped or OS X 10.8 GM:

Starcraft 2 runs at extreme settings at 1680x1050 (it refuses to do 1920x1200) Vsynced at constant 60fps
    Diablo 3 runs constantly on my frame cap of 45 at max settings
    Skyrim runs at 2880x1800 at max settings with no AA at ~25-30fps
    Guild Wars 2 beta ran at 1920x1200 at max settings with no hiccups (other than server-side lag)

rMBP is really powerful.

----------

Not as good as I thought it would be. It'll sit at a black screen with a blinking BIOS-looking cursor for a solid minute before booting into W7

9. andybrown44 macrumors regular

Really?! It boots in about 15 seconds for me. The blinking cursor is on the screen for about 2 seconds...

10. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Yeah I dunno why it does that...

11. Falundir macrumors member

Actually this couldn't be farther from the truth. Apple products commonly have non user replaceable components, however many mid to high end pc laptops you can change near every component including the video card.

12. arashb macrumors 6502

Really? I never knew there were user replaceable laptop graphics cards. I stand corrected I guess.

13. threezero macrumors 6502

how do yall deal with the heat when gaming on the rmbp? i killed my last mbp's battery by having it plug in all the time to game + external monitor, mouse keyboard and hd. I would like to extend the life of my new rmbp's battery for as long as possible. Any recommendation for a laptop cooler that actually works with the rmbp?

14. Drask macrumors regular

I think that has more to do with you not letting the battery drain below 20% every 2 days, rather than the laptop running hop.

15. threezero macrumors 6502

every 2 days? isn't that a little excessive?

16. Drask macrumors regular

You're right, my bad.

Quoted from apple's website:

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

17. leenak macrumors 68020

I've been gaming on my rMBP in Windows and OSX and it is beautiful. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

18. leman macrumors 604

Oh come, on, the retina MBP rivals most of the gaming laptops out there. Besides, the games OP mentioned (D3, mine craft, LoL) don't require a beefy machine anyway. Most of them will even run at retina resolution (many users report playable framerates with D3 on full 2800x1800 after tweaking the settings a bit).