Retina Macbook 12" or Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jason.siegel, Mar 9, 2015.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

I own a Late 2011 Macbook Air 13" and had been planning to upgrade to the new 'Macbook Air Retina' when it was released. But the high cost, low-res FaceTime camera, lack of ports, and lack of MagSafe make me question whether I should buy the new Retina Macbook now. The Macbook Pro 13" is the same price and has the new trackpad. Should I go for the Pro instead?

I don't game. I use my computer primarily for the Internet, word processing, email, streaming movies, streaming to AppleTV, etc. My computer usually stays in my apartment, but I do take it around the city occasionally and on airplanes.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Well, only you can really answer that question. Is FaceTime HD on the computer critical for you ? What's your port usage ? Do you (or someone else) often trip on the cable ?

How do all of these compare to the portability (size and weight) ? How about the screen size ?

For your stated usage, either one would work, performance wise (I think). The rest is which functionality is more important for you ?

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

well put. :cool:

4. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Facetime camera, magsafe, and lack of ports I can live with but am not thrilled about. With all three, I do feel that I'm compromising a bit too much. But with the Pro weighing twice as much, it's really the lesser of two evils.

Can anyone speak to the performance of the Core M?

5. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat as you. I was ready for Apple to basically slap a Retina screen on the existing MBA's, so the developments today are disappointing. I use my ports quite frequently and don't want to have to constantly use adapters. The thinness and lightness are certainly nice, but for me personally the 13" MBP is looking more attractive. In my view, thinness and lightness are the only things that make the MB superior, whereas the MBP (for my use) is superior in every other area. Everyone has different needs though - you need to decide what works best for you. For me, its gonna be the MBP.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nobody knows what the performance will be like, we'll have to wait for reviews/benchmarks. But I can tell you that I'm switching from the 13" rMBP to the 12" rMB and it's a no brainer for me. So just consider how you use your machine.

7. Samtb macrumors 65816

You either pay for portability or performance here. The new mb is very thin and ultra portable but there's no question that the i5/i7 in the Mbps are much more powerful than the core Ms.

8. Serban Suspended

Cpu 1.1 Ghz is better than 1.4 dual core haswell

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Looking at the performance tests the M-5Y70 is about 5% faster and 3times more efficient than the 1.4 i5-4260U used in the 2014 Mac mini (which is slated by everyone seemingly for poor performance - i have no experience of it, so cant pass comment either way).

One interesting difference or change for this intel chip is normally when in turbo mode both cores run at the max speed. In this new chip a single core can run upto 2.6Ghz (max speed), where as both core running together, it can only run at 2.0Ghz. Intel GPU 5300 also supports only 2 screens, vs 3 for the previous Gen. No listed support for virtualisation - VT-x, VT-x EPT, VT-d

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If your lappy stays at home most of the time, I'd rather have the ports. ;). It's not like the 13" rMBP weighs a lot more than the 13" MBA.

Yes there is a difference, but it's not going to make your desk collapse or anything.

12. Samtb macrumors 65816

Core m was designed to sit in between atom and i3/i5/i7. It's not more powerful in any way than core is

13. walkaway macrumors newbie

I would definitely get a MBP rather than rMB as an only computer. I think owning a laptop that can only perform basic tasks is more handicapping that having a slightly heavier laptop. You don't even carry it around every day, I think you mainly want the rMB because it is new and shiny. But you might end up wishing it would be a bit faster... Do as you wish, that's my opinion

14. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, everyone. Does anyone have some insight into when the Pro is likely to be redesigned? I'd been monitoring the Air for quite some time and so knew that the retina redesign was imminent, but I haven't kept up to date on the Pro. Will the current design be sticking around for a couple years, or is it on its way out?

15. Samtb macrumors 65816

Rumours say it will get a body update with skylake. So I'd expect late 2015 or 2016.