Retina MacBook and competition.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skylitfly, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

So, I just wanted to make a sort of comparison between the new rMB and it's competition at same price range.

-----

Retina MacBook

12" 2304x1440 display
    Intel Core M 1.1 Up to 2.4 GHz
    Intel HD 5300 graphics
    8GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    9h of battery life

USB-C
    Headphone jack

From 3,5mm to 13.1mm thick.
    Weights 0.92kg

1299€

-----

Microsoft Surface Pro 3

12" 2160x1440 display, touch screen.
    Intel i5 1.9 Up to 2.9 GHz
    Intel HD 4400 graphics
    8GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    9h of battery life

USB 3.0
    Headphone jack
    Display port
    Micro SD card slot

9.1mm thick. (More with TypeCover.)
    Weights 0.8kg (More with TypeCover.)

1339€ + 134€ for TypeCover.

-----

13" MacBook Air

13" 1440x900 display.
    Intel i5 1.6 Up to 2.7 Ghz
    Intel HD 6000 graphics.
    8GB RAM (configured)
    256GB SSD
    12h of battery life

2xUSB 3.0
    Thunderbolt 2
    Headphone jack
    SDXC card slot

From 3mm to 17mm thick.
    Weights: 1.08kg

1299€

-----

13" MacBook Pro with Retina display

13" 2560x1600 display
    Intel i5 2.7 Up to 3.1 Ghz
    Intel Iris 6100 graphics
    8GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    10h of battery life.

2xThunderbolt 2
    2xUSB 3.0
    Headphone jack
    HDMI
    SDXC card slot

18mm thick
    Weights 1.58kg

1499€

-----

Honestly, after comparing these the Retina MacBook looks like a very appealing device in my opinion.

It's easily the lightest, smallest and most beautiful device out there. It has full size keyboard and great trackpad which for example Microsoft Surface Pro 3 doesn't.

It may not be the most powerful machine out there but it's not far away from these other devices. Pretty much on par with Surface Pro 3, MacBook Air has a slight edge and even 13" rMBP isn't that faraway even thought it's already noticeably more powerful.

Connectivity wise... well, I understand some of you still need all those ports for some reason. But personally I have barely used the ports in my rMBP so lack of regular USB, HDMI and stuff isn't a problem for me.

Price doesn't look too bad for me. It's actually cheapest option of these sharing the 1299€ price tag with MacBook Air.

Personally I'm pretty much set on buying one.

EDIT: I used pricing from where I live. Prices may not be same for all of you.

2. Serban Suspended

seems that you have 15" MBP so the only option real is the new Macbook for ultra portability for the rest you can use the MBP

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

The price is not bad comparatively. It will be even better if apple announces a USB C monitor. The way they are promoting the USB C transfering USB data, video and charging makes it seem like you will be able to plug into a 4k monitor with one USB C and have a usb hub and charge at the same time. Then one only needs to unplug the one cable and they are ready to go. This is the setup im hoping for. I just hope they do not price the monitor too high.

4. gooser macrumors 6502

not so much in these mac forums but i believe in the real world it will be competing with chromebooks. they're both slightly crippled, just in different ways.

5. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't you compare the rMB to computers in the same category? For instance, the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and Asus' Zenwhatever XYZ123. Those are Core M-powered ultrabooks like the rMB.

6. Skylitfly, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Probably. But as I already said in my original post I rather wanted to compare laptops from the same price range instead of laptops of same category.

EDIT: I just realized that the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 is actually in the same price category. My mistake. I just remembered the price of the ZenBook which is cheaper than the rMB.

7. Serban, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Serban Suspended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0wX9m2E0Ik&t=195

So the best trackpad in the world going to be even better...
    Think about in 1 year we will have force tap with two fingers too gestures i think

So every apple product with touch controls will get this new feature...so next is iphone, ipad and 15" macbook pro and magic trackpad
    i miss any?