retina macbook / apple using different display manufacturers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Hicks, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Bill Hicks macrumors newbie

I have no doubdt that apple is using different manufacturers displays for the retina MacBooks.

The first one i bought was way too dark and text was blurry most of the time. the white was more of a grayish tint. a month later, a replacement has a far superior screen in more ways than one.

I was able to compare them side to side. world of difference.

It seems there is no way to check display manufacturer now (using terminal). or is there?

anyone else have similar experiences with their displays?

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Well it certainly would explain why some users are complaining about ghosting, inconsistent tints, and lack of brightness, whereas others (like myself) have a superb display. There are different codes for the displays, that were discussed in another thread...

3. Bill Hicks, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

Bill Hicks thread starter macrumors newbie

when i run the command in terminal. all i get is "COLOR LCD"

no codes like before. i wonder if they took the ability to check out so people couldn't complain.

does anyone know how to check display manufacturer on retina macbook?

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

The first day I tried it, I only got COLOR LCD, I tried a couple days later and it worked. So I'd say keep trying the terminal command.

5. Bill Hicks thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck. just COLOR LCD.

does anyone know the different manufacturers?

because the old one looked like an lg and this one looks closer to a samsung.

6. teeteetee macrumors newbie

Wanna buy one but afraid that i might get one with a yellownscreen :(

7. Bill Hicks thread starter macrumors newbie

the difference between the two was literally night and day.

noone knows how to identify display?

8. advaitan macrumors newbie

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

this will work... LP is LG, LSN is Samsung

9. detroitl macrumors newbie

Which is more desirable? I have LSN

10. spdntrxi macrumors regular

^my screen is perfect (so far) and a LG. Funny I returned 3 top of the line LED LG's last year.. and ended up getting a Sammy Plasma..

11. Bill Hicks thread starter macrumors newbie

i knew it.

this one is a samsung, for sure the other was lg.

12. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Hard to say at this point since there isn't much data, but from my subjective experience having originally a Samsung and now an LG that replaces it, I preferred the Samsung. The screen was a little brighter.

13. spdntrxi macrumors regular

^ these screen get more then bright enough for me.. I'm usually 6 bars from the top.. all the way up and the whites hurt my eyes.

14. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I've got an lg...i use it mostly in clamshell mode with a tb but i haven't noticed any problems with it.

15. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

samsung here. looks great but suffers from light leak. replacement just left china.

16. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

I've got an LG and it has serious image retention and very mild light leakage around the edges. Otherwise it looks great. BTW, I've never seen an LCD with no light leakage, but I assume some must exist since people talk about it so much.

17. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I have a Samsung and so far it has been perfect.

18. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Is it possible Samsung is purposely sabotaging the displays they send to Apple? My guess is yes.

19. gekoo macrumors member

i got a samsung too. Nothing wrong with it. But I do wish it was a little bit more whiter. So far my iPad looks more white than this but I'm not really complaining about my luck.

20. Glenn.eu macrumors member

Glenn.eu

Got the LG, only remark i have is that it is a little dark when using it during daylight (not direct sunlight). I have to turn it all the way up when using it on sunny days indoors.
    Rest of the screen looks perfect.

21. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Color LCD
    LP154WT1-SJA1
    DCN225203E7DMJ0AE

No issues here at all.

22. Drask macrumors regular

Why would they do that? That's just stupid.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

When the Late 2011 Air was launched there was literally frenzy over the display, due to there being two venders LG & Samsung. Some even were even posting here on MacRumors how they could return their Air with a LG display, before the machine had even arrived. Ironically when AnandTech reviewed the display`s they recommended the LG by a hair surprise, surprise the hysteria evaporated. If by any means LG display`s are inferior to Samsung`s Apple would never use them in the first place.

Every display is different both venders will equally provide good and bad units, the only difference being the bad ones will generate noise on forums such as this, with many jumping to conclusions. My own 2.3 Retina has to all intents and purposes a perfect display within the context of a portable, no dead pixels, no ghosting and only being slightly dimer than my Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7, however as it`s an LG Philips panel I had better consider returning the Retina in the hope of a better, brighter Samsung :rolleyes: dont let the madness start to spiral. The more you dig into these things the more OCD triggers in some, if your display has fault return the machine to Apple dont be concerned with the background detail. If your display has no fault then enjoy it and dont worry that another venders display will make your life more harmonious, it wont.

Andandtech
    "The credit Apple deserves for the display extends beyond simply pushing LG to get a panel out on time and in large enough quantities."

"In practice however Apple has delivered tightly integrated IPS panels with wonderful performance characteristics as a part of the Retina brand. I do hope that for the years to come Apple does not compromise on these fronts."

As the individual you must filter the content of the internet very carefully, everyone is a "Pro", everyone is an "expert", for the most part they are not, some are well informed, most are not. If you need help to make a significant purchase, or qualification on hardware, wait for a recognised source, not the kid with 10 minutes hands on in Best Buy ;)

----------

See it`s starting already :rolleyes:

24. terraphantm macrumors 68040

That's more to do with LCD vs Plasma than LG vs Samsung.

I would think in the case of this laptop, LG would be better. Does Samsung even make IPS displays? I was under the impression that they only do MVA. I know LG manufactures most of the high end IPS displays out there

25. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

My screen is perfect! I love! :D

It's an LG as far as i can see

When i pasted the code into an terminal window it says

Color LCD
    LP and some numbers and letters..

So as i see it then its a LG ?