Retina macbook at native resolution

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I am running 12 inch macbook at 1152x720 pixels, which is a 1/4 of native resolution of 2304x1440. I do feel that it makes everything slightly sharper and faster given that no scaling is involved.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
More so than your reply!

Integer resolutions are the best, but Apple's system does a remarkably good job at making the other resolutions look great. I'm using http://www.pupil.io as a quick resolution switcher, generally at 1680x1050 as I find anything less to require a lot more scrolling than I like. For me the whole point of a high-resolution screen is that elements are sharp enough to allow for a large workspace on a tiny screen. 1152x720 is less real estate than I was using 10 years ago!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
More so than your reply!

Integer resolutions are the best, but Apple's system does a remarkably good job at making the other resolutions look great. I'm using http://www.pupil.io as a quick resolution switcher, generally at 1680x1050 as I find anything less to require a lot more scrolling than I like. For me the whole point of a high-resolution screen is that elements are sharp enough to allow for a large workspace on a tiny screen. 1152x720 is less real estate than I was using 10 years ago!
I use 1680x1050 too. At times it seems to make things a bit too small. I think 1536x960 looks a bit better.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
How is that relevant to this thread? Maybe I'm missing something.
I'm all for keeping threads on track, but what exactly do you expect for a reply when the OP started a thread to simply state they like X resolution? Not too much more to say other than offer an opinion of what resolution we like.
I do feel that it makes everything slightly sharper and faster given that no scaling is involved.
Technically, there is always scaling involved. What you're referring to is essentially integer scaling - there's no interpolation between native resolution and the scaled resolution.

While integer scaling will generally look sharpest because there's no pixel interpolation, using a lower scaled resolution that renders on-screen elements larger will inherently make those elements look "sharper" as well (assuming retina-quality elements are provided). Text, icons and hi-res images are going to display more detail because more pixels are making up a larger on-screen element. It seems kind of obvious, but often overlooked in these discussions.

Reactions: Queen6