Retina Macbook Battery issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tritons, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hey guys.
    I'm still rocking first gen Retina Macbook Pro 15'' (10,1) and I have had it for more than two years now. Have to say I absolutely love the machine but lately I have been having battery problems with it. Right now I have 701 cycles done and health is showing at 80% (max capacity 6756/8460mAh) but I get no more than 2.5h of battery life out of it and this is by just browsing internet and reading PDF files. It used to last me at least 5h min. Due to these problems I went to apple store this morning but the guy said that they can't really do anything since it is out of warranty. (I thought that the warranty is 1000 cycles and 80%??) and that the battery replacement would cost around 400£. Any ideas why the battery could last that little with 80% health?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know about UK consumer law, but if you don't buy applecare, you only get one year.

Plus the battery cycle is not a hard and fast rule, since batteries are considered consumable components. You're battery is over 2 years old, so its not like it was defective, it worked well for that long.

I'd say bite the bullet and pay to get it replaced. Btw, I'm in the same boat, as my rMBP is 2.5 years old and its batter I'm sure is getting long in the tooth.

Again, since I'm in the US, my consumer rights (or lack of) may be different then yours in the UK

3. thebritishguy macrumors member

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

in the US its in the 200 dollar range the last time I looked, so £169 looks about right. I missed that part in the OP.

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. For some reason I thought that 1000 cycles 80% rule works outside 1 year warranty.

That is so odd. I'm in Aberdeen (Scotland) and he clearly stated "around" 400£. 169£ is not that bad for another two years of good battery life. Question is if it is worth it. What would be average market value for 2012 rMBP 10,1 (with 8gb of Ram and 256Gb of SSD) ? Because if the price is good I could easily sell it and just get a new one. What do you think?

E: Webuy.com is giving around 600£ for it so MV for it it must be at least 800£, right?

6. Greg1fraser macrumors member

I visited Apple Aberdeen recently and i was quoited under £200 for battery replacement on a 15 retina

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks guys. And what would be reasonable market value for my mac? Really starting to think about the upgrade.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, batteries are consumable items and only covered for defects while under warranty or AppleCare. If your battery health drops below 80% and you have no warranty coverage, replacement is at your expense.
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thanks for posting this. I am in need of getting battery replaced too. I don't think I'm going to resell it since it is a 2012 and the newer models won't benefit me anyway. My 2012 is in perfect condition too.

So did you guys say that the battery replacement is about 200? Is there one that we can buy and have my spouse put it in for me?

11. GGJstudios, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

$129 (excluding taxes) for the 13/15" MBP/MBA
    $199 (excluding taxes) for the 13/15" MBPr.

Service Answer Center - Mac notebooks
    The batteries in the newer MacBook models are glued in and not designed to be user-replaceable. Also, Apple doesn't sell those batteries without them doing the installation. You're better off taking it to Apple to make sure it's done right.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your battery is glued and cannot be removed. You'll want apple to do it, so if they break it they repair it. You can find replacement batteries on ebay and what not for your MBP, but I wouldn't risk damaging your MBP.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

All prices in the UK would INCLUDE value added tax (VAT) at 20%.

Someone has already said the price in the UK is £169.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're absolutely correct. I read the wrong amount on the linked page. The $199 is for a MBP with retina display in the U.S. Thanks for catching that.