Retina macbook battery replacement or sell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polyg0n, Nov 12, 2014.

1. polyg0n macrumors newbie

The battery of my macbook is getting close to the 1000 cycles (825)
    (2012 macbook pro retina 15", 2.6GHz i7, 16GB ram, 1GB graphics, 3000 euros/3700 dollars)

The cost to replace the battery would be (600 euros/750 dollars)

Apple's recycling program for the macbook would only give me (800 euros/1000 dollars).
    Or I could sell it to someone, but considering the battery cycles I don't know whether this is a good idea or what price I should ask

Anyone have experience with this or what would you recommend?

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

3. polyg0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, that's the problem. Welcome to Europe :(

Apple's US store says:
    Region Europe: €199 (including VAT)

Apple's Belgium store says:
    Battery replacement prices are based on your region. Battery replacement service may be available at your local Apple Authorised Service Provider.
    (no prices listed)

Contacted local authorised service provider => €590

I'll try to contact apple directly

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

There is an Apple store in Brussels? Might be cheaper than an AASP

5. callea macrumors regular

callea

Macbook Pro retina Battery replacement costs 199 euro in Apple Stores.

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I wonder how much the same service costs in Brazil. If $199 is around 10% of a base 15" rMBP price, adjusting prices to a rMBP sold in Brazil, a new battery would cost $385 (in an official Apple Store). In AASPs it may cost even more, around $500-600.

7. JimiT macrumors newbie

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. leman macrumors 604

I think the issue is Belgium (for some reason), not Europe. Both Netherlands, Germany and France have the battery service listed as 199 euros. If you live close to the border, this might be worth a trip.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I would be surprised if Apple charged a different price in Belgium. Maybe a shady dealer. OP should contact Apple, ask for the battery replacement cost, and also tell them about the AASP that gave the 590 Euro quote.

11. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Apple should stick the battery to the base plate and use spring contacts to connect it to the logic board, It would make replacement easier.

Need a new battery? Just replace the base plate!

12. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

If you computer still works, let Apple do it for €199. They replace the entire top case because the batteries are glued into the case.

13. leman macrumors 604

I think so too, but it is true that Apple website says something else for Belgium compared to other European countries.

14. mafaky macrumors regular

mafaky

In the retina MBP models they have done it somewhat as you suggest, except that they have HEAVILY GLUED the battery cells (it's not a one-piece battery pack but 4 or more cells connected...) to the Upper Case Assembly!!!:mad:

So, it's practically impossible that a DIY user can easily/safely remove the "battery" from the upper case and only replace the raging "battery"!

The well-famed iFixit, do not provide replacement batteries for these pro retinas, instead they are forced to sell the entire upper case (as an integrated part including keyboard, trackpad and the battery cells glued underneath) at very hefty prices ranging from US$ 350, going up to almost 600!... If you want to do it yourself, you pays that price'...:mad:

But if you take it to the AppleStores they change the batteries for US$199 plus tax, or for €199+VAT in Europe (as claimed...). But I really wonder what they do: do they somehow unglue the dead batteries and replace them with fresh ones or do they replace the entire upper assy? In USA or maybe in Europe they may do it that way and send the old assys to factory for some kind of refurbishment. But there are some markets where the keyboard is pretty much different from the standard US QWERTY keyboard. I would like to learn what's being done, for this battery replacement process!???

15. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

last week my battery life was at 90% and it went up to 96% weird how it fluctuates.