Retina MacBook: Boo for long order time!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrNathaniel, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DrNathaniel macrumors newbie

Ordered my new Retina Macbook, loaded out. (2.7 GHz processor, 16 GB ram, 768 GB SSD).

Unfortunately, Apple is claiming a lead time of 3-4 weeks.

Take note! If I configure it on the web page, it claims only 2-3 weeks before the checkout, so... they lie. It may be that this is an educational order which gets lower priority; or maybe ordering by phone cost me a week. Not sure.

Ugh... don't know if I can limp by on this old 2008 notebook until July...

--Nathaniel

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Would've suggested that you wait for it to come to a local brick and mortar store. I'm sure most will have it by the end of this week.

3. mgsarch macrumors regular

I've called about 10 of the closest Apple Stores, they have all told me that they will *only* be carrying base spec models in store. None of the stores I called that did receive shipments received *any* upgraded processors or 16GB models, let alone 768gb ssds. Few have gotten any shipments, those that have only got ~10 MBPRs and none varied from the base specs.

I know that this has not been the case in the past, I bought "specced out" mba last year around the time of release in-store.

Just relaying what I've been told directly from Apple Store employees, not that I put much faith into anything they say.

4. dkimxd macrumors member

Stores are advertising 3 levels of the mbp. The base 2199, the mid 2799, and the maxed out one for like 3799 or whatever.

5. mgsarch macrumors regular

Where have you seen that? My stores are showing the two base models, 2199 and 2799. The level of misinformation when dealing with Apple store employees is beyond frustrating. I've been told by a handful today that ram upgrades could be done in-store, upon my informing them that the ram is definitely soldered in place: "Oh, well, I guess you know more about these than I do." ... <facepalm>

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I would have order right away had I known for sure that the RAM wasnt upgradeable. I'm just looking for the base model with ram upgrade to 16GB.

Looks like ill be waiting 3-4 weeks. Though i feel that they will have it shipped out sooner.

7. eron macrumors 6502

The initial shipping estimate you get from the "Buy" page is for the base model. Customised models usually take longer than that.

8. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Sign that its latest product is wildly popular: it's so oversubscribed the waiting list wraps around the equator a few times.

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Should have got a real mac! :p You'd be getting it on Monday like me!

10. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

I'm not gonna get mad until it passes the initial delivery estimate. Until then I'll just be eagerly drooling over it.:eek:

11. Martialis macrumors member

Seriously? 3-4 weeks is not a long time to wait for a product that is a several thousand dollar investment that you will be using for the next several years. No offense, but this really isn't a long time at all.

If you want bad, you should hear about the epic saga's of how back-ordered the Amazon Kindle became when it came out. People would be on a waiting list for months after submitting an order.

12. spdntrxi macrumors regular

If I use educational or corporate discount.. it's 3-4 week lead time.. if I dont it's 1-2 week lead time.. so it's obviously less of a priority for Apple to fill your order if discounted... I want the base model with 16gb..so maybe a tough find in the store ?

13. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

You ordered it too slow. If you ordered it once Apple online store was up, you would have wait for 5-7 business days. Mine takes only 2-3 weeks cuz I ordered it in the afternoon on the launch day. I will get it at end of this month.

14. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Or if you ordered right away like me you would be getting yours tomorrow. :)

15. Martialis macrumors member

Not everyone spends several thousand dollars without taking a day or two at least to mull it over. What can we say?

16. yoink macrumors member

yoink

More importantly, with such a precision-built machine (and having received a dud or two off of initial runs in the past) I'm happy to wait a few weeks for the most serious of the teething problems during real-world mass production to be ironed out.

It's by no means a guarantee though....