Retina MacBook: Boo for long order time!

DrNathaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Ordered my new Retina Macbook, loaded out. (2.7 GHz processor, 16 GB ram, 768 GB SSD).

Unfortunately, Apple is claiming a lead time of 3-4 weeks.

Take note! If I configure it on the web page, it claims only 2-3 weeks before the checkout, so... they lie. It may be that this is an educational order which gets lower priority; or maybe ordering by phone cost me a week. Not sure.

Ugh... don't know if I can limp by on this old 2008 notebook until July...

--Nathaniel

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Ordered my new Retina Macbook, loaded out. (2.7 GHz processor, 16 GB ram, 768 GB SSD).

Take note! If I configure it on the web page, it claims only 2-3 weeks before the checkout, so... they lie. It may be that this is an educational order which gets lower priority; or maybe ordering by phone cost me a week. Not sure.

--Nathaniel
Would've suggested that you wait for it to come to a local brick and mortar store. I'm sure most will have it by the end of this week.

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Would've suggested that you wait for it to come to a local brick and mortar store. I'm sure most will have it by the end of this week.
I've called about 10 of the closest Apple Stores, they have all told me that they will *only* be carrying base spec models in store. None of the stores I called that did receive shipments received *any* upgraded processors or 16GB models, let alone 768gb ssds. Few have gotten any shipments, those that have only got ~10 MBPRs and none varied from the base specs.

I know that this has not been the case in the past, I bought "specced out" mba last year around the time of release in-store.

Just relaying what I've been told directly from Apple Store employees, not that I put much faith into anything they say.

dkimxd

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Stores are advertising 3 levels of the mbp. The base 2199, the mid 2799, and the maxed out one for like 3799 or whatever.

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Stores are advertising 3 levels of the mbp. The base 2199, the mid 2799, and the maxed out one for like 3799 or whatever.
Where have you seen that? My stores are showing the two base models, 2199 and 2799. The level of misinformation when dealing with Apple store employees is beyond frustrating. I've been told by a handful today that ram upgrades could be done in-store, upon my informing them that the ram is definitely soldered in place: "Oh, well, I guess you know more about these than I do." ... <facepalm>

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I would have order right away had I known for sure that the RAM wasnt upgradeable. I'm just looking for the base model with ram upgrade to 16GB.

Looks like ill be waiting 3-4 weeks. Though i feel that they will have it shipped out sooner.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
The initial shipping estimate you get from the "Buy" page is for the base model. Customised models usually take longer than that.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Should have got a real mac! :p You'd be getting it on Monday like me!

--Nathaniel

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm not gonna get mad until it passes the initial delivery estimate. Until then I'll just be eagerly drooling over it.:eek:

Martialis

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Seriously? 3-4 weeks is not a long time to wait for a product that is a several thousand dollar investment that you will be using for the next several years. No offense, but this really isn't a long time at all.

If you want bad, you should hear about the epic saga's of how back-ordered the Amazon Kindle became when it came out. People would be on a waiting list for months after submitting an order.

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
If I use educational or corporate discount.. it's 3-4 week lead time.. if I dont it's 1-2 week lead time.. so it's obviously less of a priority for Apple to fill your order if discounted... I want the base model with 16gb..so maybe a tough find in the store ?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA

--Nathaniel
You ordered it too slow. If you ordered it once Apple online store was up, you would have wait for 5-7 business days. Mine takes only 2-3 weeks cuz I ordered it in the afternoon on the launch day. I will get it at end of this month.

yoink

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Not everyone spends several thousand dollars without taking a day or two at least to mull it over. What can we say?
More importantly, with such a precision-built machine (and having received a dud or two off of initial runs in the past) I'm happy to wait a few weeks for the most serious of the teething problems during real-world mass production to be ironed out.

It's by no means a guarantee though....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.