Retina Macbook crashing on resume from suspend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by exito, Aug 7, 2012.

1. exito, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

exito macrumors newbie

My retina Macbook with M.Lion 10.8 consistently locks up and forces a reboot when trying to resume.

Also on occasion when i start from a cold boot, I log in and get a black screen, rather than continuing to the steady operating state.

Anyone have the same issue(s)?

Seems like there are others via various chat forums have similar issues with the retina MacbookPro.

Ideas?

2. psynnott, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Yes. I fixed it by changing the hibernate setting to 3 instead of 5.

Right, so, you have this file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

It stores all your power management settings. You can edit the file as root in vi or some other editor of your choice.

It has 2 sections from what I remember - one for stuff that applies when you are on AC power and another section that applies when you are on battery power.

My problem was with the AC power section.

I changed hibernatemode to 3. It was 5 (and an unsupported setting according to the pmset manual page - man pmset for the gory details)

Ever since then it has been fine and also my battery hasn't drained when it has been hibernating!

Edit:
    I got all my info from these URLs:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149260?start=0&tstart=0
    http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/mactips119.html
    man pmset from the terminal

3. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Had this exact problem when Lion was out...

When I ugpraded to ML I have not yet since encountered the issue. Perhaps change the hibernation settings, or consider a clean install...