Retina Macbook failing, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i4Collin, Jul 16, 2016.


Should I repair or replace?

  1. repair

  2. replace

  1. i4Collin macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2011
    I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro that is about 49 months old. The display has been going bad for a while now with several dead pixels, and just last night I got the notification that the battery needs to be serviced. After some research I decided that I have the tools and capacity to replace the display, but would need to take the computer in to Apple for the battery. This means that it would cost me a minimum of $400 to replace both. At this point, I'm considering just selling the computer for parts, and buying a new one. I'm trying to do whatever will be most budget friendly. If anyone has experience with how top-end Apple notebooks age, would it be worthwhile to invest $400+ in a 4 year old notebook? I need a working portable computer, so any decision would happen this week.
  2. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Jan 6, 2013
    Hi, I would say its a good time to replace the mac, it is quite a bit to invest into a 4 year old computer, is it a 13" or 15"?
  3. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 18, 2010
    Terra Australis
    When the repair cost hits almost the cost of a new system, go for a new system - backup all data as well.
  4. Totally Bored macrumors member

    Totally Bored

    Jun 29, 2015
    $400 is a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

    FWIW, I just spent around $370 to upgrade my RAM and Install a 1TB SSD in my 2012 Non Retina MBP.
    Its' only 4 years old and works great.
  5. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2011
    I decided it's not worth $2,200+ for a new MacBook. I just bought an entire upper case assembly with battery, trackpad, and keyboard, brand new display assembly, and new bottom cover with screws. Total was about $400. I plan to be refurbishing the entire computer to almost brand-new condition, hopefully all goes well.
  6. tubeexperience, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

    tubeexperience macrumors 68040

    Feb 17, 2016
    Ask for a flat rate repair for $310.

    Apple will fix everything for that price (assuming no accidental damage).
  7. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

    Dec 8, 2008
    I would have suggested getting a new machine, but everything is in "don't buy" state in the MR buyers guide right now.

    So might as well fix it and get a year or two more from it.
  8. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Are you happy with the performance of the 2012 rMBP? Are there features in the new machines that you must have? If you repaired the machine, how long do you envision using it (provided nothing else fails)?

    Just reading between the lines in the posts, and it seems you may be better off getting the machine repaired as opposed to buying a new one - provided the repair costs isn't exorbitantly high.

Share This Page