Retina MacBook Fan Cleanup After SMC Updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ledlauzis, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ledlauzis macrumors member

ledlauzis

Today I updated my 15-inch MacBook PRO Retina to SMC 1.2. I noticed that when MacBook started after updated it blew dust out of the cooling fans. My table was full of dust (not a lot but still more than noticeable). It is just one strong blow and then it becomes silent again.

I noticed the same thing when update SMC 1.1 come out a while ago. Then I thought it was some kind of glitch but now I see that this is like "feature" and Apple uses it for purpose.

Does anyone know more about it and can it be initialized manually just to clean cooling fans. It would be very useful since SMC updates are not so often.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

even i was wondering at what rpms the fan rocketed to, the max limit we can set is 5900 and 5400, This kind of thing could come handy to clean the air paths.

3. ledlauzis thread starter macrumors member

ledlauzis

Yeah, I know that it is possible to adjust fan speed but that wasn't anything close to 5900.

Did some Googling as well but couldn't find any traces for this "cleaning". It would come in handy, that's for sure.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Because SMC controller is in "coma" during firmware update, fans just hit max speed because nothin's controlling them.
    Also a safety vs comfort feature: should the SMC chip fail completely, it will be better to cool the laptop with noise, rather than let it fry in silence.