Retina Macbook headphone port/speakers broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igneousc, Oct 31, 2012.

1. igneousc macrumors regular

I've searched around and have seen this issue posted about before, but I'm not sure if the headphone port on the 15" Retina is different from the older models. Right now my sound preferences under output only have headphones and apple TV listed. There is nothing plugged into my headphone port. I've tried toothpicks, paper clips, the stick of a cotton swab, and the actual headphone plug and it only works once and a while when I wiggle it or catch something the right way. If I plug the headphones in it actually switches to digital out mode, so I cant even get sound from the headphones. For a little while yesterday the speakers worked fine when I jammed a cotton swab stick in the right way, but it eventually turned off again. It looks like there are 2 switches or sensors in the back of the headphone port, which I assume one of them is sticking? Any suggestions for fixing this? I really dont want to have to bring it to an apple store or send it in.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

sorry but instead of jamming random crap into the headphone port, you should definitely just bring it to an apple store.

3. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Like the post above me states, don't be MacGyver and go sticking random things in the headphone port. Many people don't know or don't realize this, but there is actually voltage travelling through it. If you end up shorting something out, you can blow the entire audio port, or even worse damage the logic board.

If something with any of your ports isn't working, take it to an Apple store. If it's broken and under warranty, they will help you. If they feel that you caused the damage (for example, by sticking random things into the headphone port, like you already did), they won't honor your warranty.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you f it up by sticking things into it you could damage more than just the headphone jack AND lose your warranty. If the computer is under warranty and the problem would be cover by warranty it'd be unwise to risk damaging it trying to fix it yourself.