Retina Macbook Is Great VFM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DFZD, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DFZD macrumors regular

Why are people sayings it's overpriced?

The Regular macbook Air 13" - $999
    Macbook Air With 256GB SSD - $1199
    Macbook Air 256Gb SSD + 8GB RAM - $1299
    Macbook Air Retina 256GB SSD + 8GB RAM - $1299

How is that overpriced? It's a steal, you're getting a much better screen, and a much lighter machine, with slightly less battery life. Minor trade off I guess.

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

It's not bad, but 13" rMBP is a better buy IMO. Unless portability is your number one thing on your checklist.

Also you need to tac on $80 dollars for this must have....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...561789330dd&fs=f=12inchmacbook&fh=4098%2B44c7

3. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

It's just that the current MBA is somewhat over-priced as is. Well, I can't confirm that. My research showed that Windows equivalents were a bit more expensive, in reality.

But anyhow, I think they should have decreased the price of the current MBA and made the next MB closer to the current price of the MBA.

I think you're not supposed to compare the Air and the Macbook.

4. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

5. DFZD thread starter macrumors regular

6. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

That isn’t minor at all and it actually has far less ports than the current macbook air and becomes more pricer because you will have buy multiple adapter to match the ports

Next point the processor in the machine is inferior as well as HD5300 compared to HD6000 nice screen lighter but much slower and far less capable then the current macbook air it will struggle with many programs

Third point for the people that like to game on their MacBooks is completely out of question with the core M chip this chip compares to processor in 2011-2012

Only good thing about this mac is the screen

7. zipur macrumors 6502

should name the new Macbook Air the the "Icarus".

8. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

and that stands for?

9. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

10. flur macrumors 68000

For Icarus, I assume. You know, Greek mythology, flew too high, his wings melted and he fell to his death.

I'm not sure I agree with the metaphor, but I see where he's going.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'll say this just as I say for people who say the iPhone is overpriced. If you afford a $1,000 laptop you can afford a $1,300 laptop. If you can buy an iPhone for $199 and pay $100 a month...well then you can pay $299 for an upgraded iPhone.

To me there is very little difference from $1,000 and $1,300. It's only $300 more for a device you're probably using almost everyday. So, if you can't afford an extra $300...then you shouldn't be buying this device :)

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

$300 is a big deal when you don't have it and there are some people that can't just pull out an extra $300.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

So well when does it ever get to be a "big deal" then? $1300 is $300 off from $1000; just as $1600 is from $1300; $1900 from $1600 and so on. Everyone eventually hits a limit of affordability. You may have been blessed enough to not bother about $1300; but there are plenty of people who may have to think twice or thrice about getting to even $1000.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Generally, people who say things like that actually DON'T have the money to spend... for the very reasons you cite. Because $1000 or $1300, is just the same as a $1 million to them. (it's all out of reach) :)

15. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

I believe this machine is not for everyone and neither does Apple since they continue to sell different models. What I find annoying is broadbrushing stuff when not one machine has been tested in public yet.

If people were expecting a cheaper rMBP, well it ain't going to happen!

16. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I would argue that
    a) you should compare it with the 11" Air
    b) all upgrades at Apple are terribly overpriced but with the new rMB you are forced to upgrade to 8GB RAM / 256 SSD. I mean come on, $200 to upgrade from 128 to 256 SSD? For $200 I can get a variety of good 512 GB SSDs

17. Abbara macrumors member

You get 3 hours less battery life. I think that's significant, it's 33% more than the MB. Especially considering that in 2 years, a MBA might still have 9 hours or whatever, while a MB is down to 6, and that's the difference between being able to go out without a charger to work, use it all day, or not.

I also prefer the keyboard on the MBA. More space between keys, more space between keys and the touchpad and more travel on the keys. The MB keyboard isn't bad but the new features are to make it not **** when it's so thin, not to make it actually better. For example there is no click on the touchpad anymore, instead they have a little vibrator that gives you feedback. It doesn't work better than the click itself, it's just an engineering idea to simulate clicks in a thinner space.

The screen is something you can argue about, it's the key takeaway from this laptop. But it's not like the MBA screen is crap. I write this from a 22inch 90 PPI monitor, it's great. The 27' iMac has a PPI of 109, it's great. And the air lineup averages a PPI of 132. The MB is now 190 on a smaller screen, with only 720p vertically (that's less than an ipad in landscape, think about that for a second).

Sure it's a better screen, no doubt about that, but it's not like the MBA is a 480 x 320 iPhone 1 screen, and it's not like this is a 13' retina screen either, it's more nuanced than that.

The weight and thinness... perhaps the way you look at the extra battery of the MBA (30% more, but 9 hours is good enough), I look at the weight/thinness. I never go 'damn this MBA is too heavy or not thin enough.' It's better but not really that important.

I think at the end of the day people go: I use a MBA not to store 200g of video, I use it to stream Netflix and do word processing. 128g is enough for me (the most popular choice, after all). As is 4g (again, most popular choice).

So now they can either pay $999 and get 12 hours of battery, 13' screen, comfortable keyboard, higher res camera for skype, with plenty of ports.

Or they can pay $300 extra, get a weaker CPU/GPU, lose 1 inch of screen space, get a weaker camera, lose 3 hours of battery, lose all their ports. For what? More crispy but smaller text, and a few grams off an already light device?

Then there's users who buy 8 gigs of RAM but don't need the storage (or get a Nifty device, not even an option on the MB), and it's still a whole lot cheaper, with the benefits above.

I'd say the MB is a very interesting device and if you have the money you'll like it, but it's simply not the best value or a good 'deal', imo. And I think we all agree that next year's editions will be. It's like the first iPad, just not a great deal. Or the first MBA, super slow and $1800(!).

Especially when considering that the specs are comparable to the 2011 MBA 11' if I remember correctly? That's crazy. That means you can buy new, from stock, a 2014 model, and it'll get much better specs, and you can get that for $700-800 new. Compare that to the MB and $1300 seems expensive. Especially as you require bricks and externals etc to do anything but charge, which not only add costs, but also diminish the thinness and lightness factor when it has to be paired with externals.

Anyway I completely see what you're saying. It's a good buy for a certain segment of people. But overall, it's overpriced compared to other very solid or even better apple products in the 13' MBA 2013, 14, 15 models imo.

As for all the $300 is nothing nonsense... there's a limit to the notion that if you can afford a $1 candy you can afford $2. As if you can afford a $2 candy you can afford a $3 candy, too, and so on until $1 million dollar candies. It's just silly. Relatively, 30% price increases are significant, whether it's for a $1 item or a $1m item.

18. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Hold it many are stating some wrong info about the battery life of the 12" MB.

According to Apple both the 11" updated MBA and the new 12" MB have a 9 hour battery life. Seems the same to me.

Maybe many are comparing the 13" MBA to the 12" MB and then yes the 13" does have better battery life, but that's apples to oranges.

19. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

If anyone wants a MacBook12 then thats fantastic. Its a very pretty machine and your friends will want to touch it. But to claim "Its a Steal" is a bit overboard, isn't it?

MacBook Wins:
    + Weight: (MB 2lb / MBA11 2.3lb / MBA13 2.96lb / MBP13 3.4lb)
    + Screen: (MB Retina / MBA Not / MBP Retina)

MacBook Air Wins:
    + Power: (MB Intel Core M / MBA-MBP Intel i5/i7)
    + Ports: Thunderbolt, 2x USB3, SD No dongle required
    + MagSafe: Please lets not pretend this is no longer cool or useful
    + Battery Life: (MB 9hr / MBA 12hrs / MBP 10hrs)
    + FaceTime Camera: (MB 480p / MBA-MBP 720p)
    + Price: (MBA11 $899 / MBA13 $999 / MB12 $1299 / MBP13 $1299)

If anyone remembers way way back to 4 days ago then the MacBook Air was considered incredibly thin and the MacBook Pro was known as a lightweight powerhouse. Those facts haven't changed just because a lesser powered MacBook was introduced. I'm not slamming anyone for wanting a MacBook 12, but I'm just not buying into this idea that the price tag matches the hardware.

20. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Boy can't you all be factual:

Facts

11" MBA 4 gig memory/ 12"MB 8 gigs
    11" MBA 9 hours/ 12" MB 9 hours
    MBA all external video dongle required/ 12" MB dongle required
    11" MBA 128 SSD/ 12" MB 256 SSD
    11" MBA No SD slot/12" MB no SD slot

Please do not mix facts: and keep it to the 11" air verse 12" MB.

Truth

11" MBA 1.6 boost 2.7 ghz i5 / 12" MB 1.1 boost 2.4 ghz M (again these are both base models)

Intel 6000 graphics more capable but limited on actual screen display/ 12" MB Intel 5300 but with Retina resolution.

"Just the facts mam"

21. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I think the OP brings-up a fair point, and frankly, I never looked at this way. I do think that the vast majority of 13in MBA buyers get the base model at $999. For most consumers (school, home and business), the base level specs are more than enough. So, folks focus on the $300 price difference between the MBA and rMB, since they never considered paying for the upgrades in the first place.

Clearly, almost all of the components in the rMB are new, so they are going to be more expensive until production reaches a certain level. This was also true of the MBA when it was first released. The price then dropped over time.

The base MBA is Apple's entry consumer notebook. For example, if I were a college student, I would probably buy the base MBA because $300 is a big deal and the extra ports make the machine more versatile....you just never know when you will be collaborating on a project and need to share large files or plug into an overhead projector. With time, the dependance on ports is likely to change. Of course, by then, the rMB will be the base entry notebook and the MBA will be long gone.

22. Agent-P, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Let's compare these products on a more even playing field. Since the rMB comes with 8gb RAM and a 256gb SSD standard for $1299 that's the version of each MBA we should be comparing, not the base models with 4GB/128GB.

The 13" MBA with the same amount of RAM and SSD size costs the same as the rMB. So let's look at the pros of each one at this point:
    • CPU: win goes to MBA
    • GPU: win goes to MBA
    • Ports: win goes to MBA
    • Screen size: win goes to MBA
    • Battery life: win goes to MBA
    • RAM: tie
    • SSD: tie
    • Price: tie
    • Screen resolution: win goes to rMB
    • Weight: win goes to rMB (barely since the difference is 0.93 lbs/0.42 kg)
    • Thickness: win goes to rMB (again, barely since the difference is 0.16 of an inch/0.41 centimeters at the thickest point)
    IMO, the 13" MBA comes in at a better value despite being the same price. Although you skip the retina screen, in exchange you're getting a better CPU/GPU, 3 hours more battery life, and a good selection of ports while being only slightly heavier/thicker.
    Or you could also get a a 13" rMBP for the same price, though to be fair you are only getting a 128GB SSD coupled with a way better CPU/GPU and retina screen.

And for the 11" model:
    • CPU: win goes to MBA
    • GPU: win goes to MBA
    • Ports: win goes to MBA
    • Price: win goes to MBA
    • Battery life: tie
    • RAM: tie
    • SSD: tie
    • Screen size: win goes to rMB (though the difference is only 0.4" so it's pretty negligible)
    • Screen resolution: win goes to rMB
    • Weight: win goes to rMB (barely since the difference is 0.35 lbs/0.16 kg)
    • Thickness: win goes to rMB (again, barely since the difference is 0.16 of an inch/0.41 centimeters at the thickest point)
    Here I would also consider the MBA the winner. Not only is it $100 cheaper, but they are basically the same machine except in three places: screen resolution, port selection, and CPU/GPU power. It really comes down to whether or not having the extra power/ports in situations where you need them is more important or having the better looking screen but needing adapters to plug most things in and not having the extra power when you need it.

As a disclaimer: these are my own personal opinions. You are entitled to disagree with me all you wish, but it doesn't mean either of us are "wrong". Now I do understand the rMB is aimed at a particular segment of the market to which I do not belong, however I know people that the rMB would be perfect for, just not at that price. Especially since while they may not need a USB port regularly, there are definitely situations where someone may be working on a group project or something and need to transfer a large file/large number of files. That's an additional ~$20 you need to account for an adapter that just adds USB. If/when the price of the rMB drops then I would consider it a better deal for those people. But right now? No way would I recommend it to anyone. The Air would be a better option for them.

[​IMG]

23. motrek macrumors 68020

Dunno about screen size, the difference between 11.6" and 12" is pretty minimal. And personally I think 1366x768 is a better logical resolution than the ones offered for the rMB. Even though it's not retina I think I probably prefer my current 11" MBA screen.

As you say, the weight and size of the 11" MBA is pretty similar to the rMB so it's not hard to make an argument that the MBA is an equivalent or superior machine in almost all respects.

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Very good point. I completely forgot that it's actually 11.6" for the screen. That's basically 12" right there. I'll edit my post to include that.

25. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres