Retina macbook memory soldered or user replaceable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webstersp, Jun 11, 2012.

1. webstersp macrumors member

Is the memory soldered in the new retina macbook pro? or will it be like the older macbook pro and user replaceable?

2. Hidendra macrumors member

The retina pages say "onboard memory" while non-retina is just "memory" -- so most likely soldered on.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

From the pictures they showed in the keynote it is going to be soldered on....which is a shame.

4. houkouonchi macrumors regular

Super disappointed about this. I did not realize any of the macbook had soldered on memory (that seems so stupid) =(. Anyway I ordered my macbook like an hour after they were available (5-7 days to ship). Then i decide to look up on upgrading the ram (after already buying 16GB of DDR3 SODIM for $100) and then I find its not user upgradable.

Then I see on the site it is 7-10 business days to ship now =(. Ok so I call to see if I can just modify the order. Nope... While on the phone I notice now its 2-3 weeks to ship. Oh well Not worth getting the extra ram that i didn't *really* need for 3 week wait. Sucky =(.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

now this really does change things for me. i was planning on upgrading later. bummer

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No surprise. Apple has been headed towards a sealed unit for years. It's one way for them to increase profits & reduce customers from mucking up a job they're not qualified to do. Remember no matter how many of us are experienced with an easy job. There are those who screw it up then return it.

7. faroukabad macrumors member

I wonder how you troubleshoot when you have bad ram, if you can't take the modules out and test them one by one...guess you have to take it to the Apple Store.......$$$....or do it yourself if you know how to solder?

8. iMusings macrumors member

You need SMD reworking equipment.

Or simply to put it differently, let's just say you can't do it. You have no idea what memory controllers they use on board or what configuration the memory chips needs to be in.

And where are you gonna buy memory chips anyway?