Retina MacBook or 13" rMBP as second computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by petvas, Aug 20, 2015.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am tempted by the new Retina Macbook, as many others, but I am not sure it is what I really need.
    Let me first explain to you my situation, hoping that you might be able to help me reach a decision.

My main computer is a Retina iMac. I use it mainly for web, mail, productivity (Office), and testing (VM environment for testing Microsoft server software).
    I also have an iPhone 6 and a 2015 13" rMBP.
    The rMBP is being used as my second computer, on the couch, on bed and very rarely when I commute. I work mostly from home office, so I do not need the extra mobility (but I certainly appreciate to have a sleek looking laptop, that is very light to hold, like the Retina Macbook).
    I use a lot of apps at the same time, and have 8-10 open tabs in Safari most of the times, together with Omnifocus, iCal, contacts, photos, OneNote, Messages, 1Password and iTunes. All these apps are always open.

The 13" rMBP is a great computer, but somehow I am tempted by the sexy looking Retina Macbook.
    I am thinking of selling the rMBP and going to the Retina Macbook, but I am worried about the following:
    • It feels like a downgrade going from a rMBP to a less powerful computer. (despite the fact that I don't really use all the power of the rMBP)
    • I am worried that the Intel M CPU won't be as powerful for my usage scenario, especially when having so many apps open at the same time, all the time.
    • I am worried that full screen video playback might not be as smooth.
    • I am not sure that the screen has the same quality as the rMBP (especially reflections on the display)

I do not care about the single port and I think the keyboard won't be an issue.
    What makes me think about the Retina Macbook is simple: Its looks, its portability and its weight.

What would you do in my place? Would you keep the rMBP or go with the Retina Macbook? Thanks in advance for all answers.

2. Theozz macrumors member

Theozz

Well, from what I read, you doesn't have a "heavy usage" with your rMBP, it's mostly office apps you're using. And since it's would be a second computer, I won't think twice and go for the rMB. If you need a little more power, you'll have your iMac.

You have 8gb RAM so you can deal with many light apps opened. There is only 1 pixel per inch difference between the rMBP (227 ppi) and the rMB (226 ppi)

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

No, I wouldn't say that I use my rMBP in that way. Would the Retina Macbook handle multitasking with 10 apps and many Safari tabs well?

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The use you describe will be no problem for the MacBook. Nothing you are doing is taxing the processor in an extended manner, so the difference between the MacBook and the Pro is going to be extremely minor. It plays back video perfectly, and has the new very good screen coating that greatly minimizes reflection.