Retina macbook owners with ipads..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rb98765, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Rb98765 macrumors newbie

I'm buying the 15 rmbp next week and was wondering if I should also pick up an ipad air. I've never had a macbook or tablet before, so I don't really know how they'd integrate into my life. I'd like to hear how you use both devices in your life and if you think it's worth having both. Do you use your ipad enough to warrant the cost?

2. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

the question si do you need a tablet?

i won an ipad mini at my student res so my opinion wont be biased because i bought it

i also have a macbook pro.

honestly, the ipad is a cool device, but nothing my iphone or mac can already do.

i find it more of a convienance device. i.e. its easier to use over a longer period like surfing the web or typing emails then the iphone and an easier device to pull out of your bag say on the train. other then that i find it pretty useless. it has its moment but its something i can most certainly live without.

3. redboxcar macrumors 6502

redboxcar

I own a MBP, iPad mini, and iPhone 5s - and use them all with a good amount of overlap in functionality, but all in different scenarios.

Most of my time is spent on my MBP. I do things like schoolwork, programming, 1hr+ web surfing, photo management / editing, and chatting.

I use my iPad for a lot of media consumption. I surf the internet, read articles, magazines, and books, watch YouTube videos, Netflix, and other video apps, and play games. I use it most often while laying in bed before I fall asleep or on the couch while watching TV. I also take it with me whenever I'm doing something that will require a 15+ min wait time, like traveling or appointments (DMV, doctor, etc)...

I use my iPhone for phone tasks (obviously talking, texting), taking photos, social media, listening to music, and very very light web surfing. I like to use the iPad to do the web surfing if I'm going to be on it for more than a few minutes.

I don't know how to answer the "worth it" part for you. I love all of my devices, and to me, they each feel right in a ton of different scenarios. Sometimes it feels redundant to have all 3, but I use them all extensively (daily), and don't regret it at all.

EDITED TO ADD: I even own a desktop (Mac mini) - that's the only one that feels a bit redundant (on the border of getting rid of it), but even then, it has a specific use. My Mac mini rarely gets touched for daily use, but I use it as a media hub. I only sit at the desk to use it when I'm going through my iTunes library, pretty much. For all other computer related tasks, I just use my MBP.