Retina MacBook Pro 13'' for 1499 @ frys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccsicecoke, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

2. gametime10 macrumors regular

Bought one this afternoon. Get 5% cashback on electronics through my Citi Dividends Card, so it comes to $1425. Bought a 256GB SSD rMBP upgrade on eBay for $250. So in the end, $1675 for basically the $1999 version of the 13" rMBP. Not too shabby.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

nice, thats smart thinking. You could always sell the 128Gb SSD as well and get more back.

4. gametime10 macrumors regular

I thought about that. I'll put it up on eBay, but I'm not sure who would buy a 128GB SSD. Maybe for an external drive?

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

You never know, its worth a shot. Someone may need it for a repair or something.

6. stark4 macrumors 6502

ah Instore only now. Do you guys think they will switch it back to online by any chance?

7. pinkoos macrumors regular

I got the Apple Store to price match without any problems. Just pulled up the Fry's ad on one of their Macbooks in the store, they checked with a manager and approved the price match without a problem.

I think it's better buying from the Apple Store...extended holiday return period and NO restocking fee and NO tracking of the number of returns you do.

I first tried doing the price match at Best Buy across the street on Monday, but they gave me some BS about the "limit 1 per household" on Fry's ad and about they won't price match anything b/c of Cyber Monday (even though the Fry's ad clearly stated that the price is good through November 29, ie, after Cyber Monday). I pushed them a bit more but they wouldn't budge. So I told them, fine, I'll just go across the street and get the price matched at the Apple Store.

I could have gotten some reward dollars back from Best Buy, but the hassle and their stupid return tracking policy is not worth it in my opinion.

So, go to the Apple Store! They should do it!

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

You paid tax though. Fry's doesn't charge tax except for CA residents.

9. pinkoos macrumors regular

We have a Fry's here in Houston, so I would've paid tax either way. We even have to pay tax to Amazon in Texas as of this past July!

But, good to point that out for others. Thanks.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Oh, didn't know that. I guess the price match is a good option then.

11. sno1man macrumors regular

also have the regular 13 pro cheap as well

$949

Says in store only, but I have had success with Amazon and others matching that.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

Fry's charges tax in an state they have a presence (although there apparently are loopholes to this, but Fry's does require the tax in these states).

Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, Cal. Are the ones I know of.

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Contact iFix it, they might buy it from you?

14. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

TX also

15. stark4 macrumors 6502

yeah ... the reason i want to buy it online from frys is there is no sale tax. but it's instore only now..:(

16. hypobid macrumors newbie

I asked MacMall if they'd price match. I sent them over the Fry's link. They looked at it for quite a while and finally said no, after they saw it was in-store purchase only :-(

17. mmark77 macrumors newbie

Got mine too from Apple.

I was also able to get Apple able to price match Fry's. The Apple representative just had to call Fry's to ensure they were still in-stock and that the price was for a new computer.

Apple's price match policy seems to be that the other offer must be for an in-store price. I'm not sure what the requirement is for proximity requirement is of the other store to an Apple store though.

18. hypobid macrumors newbie

I tried Best Buy, too. They said, "No can do!" They came down to $1600 for me. I said, "No can do!"

19. Slowball41 macrumors newbie

i saw that deal at frys as well, but ended up returning it cyber monday, thank god i didnt open it 15% restocking...found the base rmbp13 at b and h photo for $1692, shipped with 3 year apple care and free copy of parallels no sales tax, i thought that was a steal, so i paid $60 more for apple care

----------

i saw that deal at frys as well, but ended up returning it cyber monday, thank god i didnt open it 15% restocking...found the base rmbp13 at b and h photo for $1692, shipped with 3 year apple care and free copy of parallels no sales tax, i thought that was a steal, so i paid $60 more for apple care