Retina Macbook Pro 13" vs Retina Macbook Air 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rMBA13, May 13, 2013.

1. rMBA13 macrumors newbie

I am currently saving up to get the Haswell version of either rMBP 13" or rMBA 13". Which one should I be getting? Or which one will you get and why???

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

One of those is going to be a real profuct (the Haswell rMBP) and the other may happen or may not.

So until I see some real specs that proves that there will be a rMBA then my money would be on the pro.

3. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Given that the rMBA doesn't exist, hasn't been announced, and no one even knows if it will be out this year, I'm not sure what you expect people to say.

4. rMBA13 thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, I am looking at my gf's 11" MBA right now and does the retina display really necessary? I can tell the difference when looking at icons, but when reading texts... Not so much.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you want a rMBP or rMBA, go for the rMBP since the rMBA doesn't exist and will most likely not exist this year.

See this thread to answer your question about if retina is necessary:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1553635

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I can see the difference clearly. I'm looking at my Wife's MacBook and comparing it with my own rMBP. The difference is like night and day.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Reliable advice can only be given (and taken) if you first say what your needs are?

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I highly doubt a rMBA is going to be released any time soon (if at all), so plan on getting a rMBP.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a MBA and my girlfriend has a rMBP. Both 13".

I prefer my MBA because it's lighter, I prefer the silver bezel, and it's just as powerful as my girlfriend's MBP*

*Seriously, how often do you tax a CPU but not a GPU? The last time I did that was using Flash on a PPC mac.

EDIT: Also, my MBA has Emma Watson as a background. That alone makes it 10x better :p

10. thebigmeowski macrumors newbie

Exactly! One of the reasons I got 13" Retina is the resolution compared to other 13" laptops that mostly offer up to 1366x768. 11" Air is 1280x800, but 13" is 1440x900 so it is better for me already.
    However, I always look for as much screen estate I can have (however funny it may sound when talking about 13" and 11" laptops :rolleyes: ), but it is, again a matter of personal preference and I bet most normal users don't really care much about it at all.
    The question is what are you or your gf going to be using the computer for.
    I think Retina is kind of a tricky issue, and certianly it is not for everyone (as in computers and bigger screens in general) at least in my humble opinion.

Second thing, I am no expert, but from what I read (on MacRumours as well :) ) the Macbook update is just around the corner (with the WWDC happening), so maybe it is good to wait just a little longer and do a research after the "refresh" or whatever they will announce then, it's not even a month of waiting ;).

I am not sure if Apple is going to even announce rMBA as for now as well, though.

11. rMBA13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I like the silver bezels better as well. It's less reflective.

12. Ztormie macrumors regular

11" Ais is not 1280*800, it's 1366*768.

13. lesliewj macrumors newbie

I am totally agree with you

yes, I am totally agree with you. specially the font, the font of macbook air looks very fuzzy. and the rMBP looks extremely clear!

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well one of those products exists and the other doesn't... If you don't think you need Retina, don't get it, it's highly subjective. Do people "need" a 64GB phone?