Retina Macbook Pro 15" for Law School?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kizzaa, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kizzaa macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if the Retina Macbook Po 15" would be suitable for law school. I'm just concerned with regard to portability, ive never had a previous Macbook. Any insight you guys can give? Thanks in advance.

2. liVec macrumors newbie

I believe macbook air would be more suitable.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It's definitely the most portable 15" laptop out there. But its also powerful and expensive, two things that you really do not need. If you want the retina and discrete GPU and can afford it, then go for it. If you dont care much for the retina design, then stick with the unibody 15" or 13" MBP or even the Air.

4. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Overkill. I'd recommend the MacBook Air. It's a fine machine and plenty powerful for your needs. The retina models are still a bit expensive, especially the 13" notebooks.

5. Kizzaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I have no issues with money. Portability and suitability were my cheif concerns. It is overkill I agree, but I do like a bit of gaming here and there. :p Thanks guys!

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

IF the budget allows, definitely go for a tricked out rMBP with Apple Care. Then you should have a powerful, thin, and light machine with support for 3 years.

Be sure to check for holiday savings package on the machine plus apple care. I believe there will be some very good packages from MacMall, B&H,...etc. Not sure about down under retailers.

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

No, do not go for the Air - only if your getting an external display with it.

I am in Law school now and you need the screen real estate when doing lectures/tutorials and more importantly assignments as you will always have a word file open on one side, then a case/legislation/textbook on other half of screen. My retina right now its at 1920x1080 resolution as well and its perfect for the tasks. Of course power wise it is over powered for law school usage as you mainly use the browser, email and internet. BUT you do need the screen real estate. As well when you read so many cases daily the retina screen doesn't cause your eyes to hurt as much since its so clear!

If your getting an external monitor then sure the Air could possibly be fine. Its up to you in the end, if you don't want to be tether to a home desk with a monitor when doing majority of your tasks then get an air. But if you have the budget and going to be more mobile (class/library all the time) then go for the Retina.

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

While it is overkill in terms of performance, a screen can never be "too good" and the rMBP's screen is simply way better than the MBA's. I wouldn't recommend the rMBP if you were on a budget, but if money is no issue go for it, you'll love it.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I am heading to law school as well and originally I was planning on a 27in imac and a mba .. but lately I have been thinking of just getting a rMBP .. dunno what to do

10. Oblivion426 macrumors member

Having 15" of real estate is great for legal writing. Being able to have your memo draft open next to your final paper for editing is nice. Otherwise, the computer is going to be used to access Westlaw, Lexis or Bloomberg. The reduced glare of the retina is excellent in the classrooms, too.

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

15 just seems a bit big to be using in classrooms .. from what some people told me it seems like a lot of the students are using ipads with keyboards :confused:

12. geoffrevB macrumors newbie

This is why I wouldn`t go for the air because it has only one thunderbolt port so a monitor must be disconnected to use another device that must be connected via a thunderbolt port. Of course, this will be important only for some.

13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I'm attending law school at night and recently upgraded from a 13 inch 2.7 Ghz early 2011 model to a 15 inch retina MBP. My 15 inch retina weight less than my former 13 inch unit. My wife owns a 13 inch MacBook Air and is in love with it since can put it on her purse, it is a great computer too, but again smaller screen. You will do a lot of reading in law school, so the bigger screen is better IMHO.

14. noteple macrumors 65816

The bigger screen of the 15" is better for the dorm.
    The portability of a 13" Air is better for class, more like having a clipboard than laptop.

An the Air can always be attached to a cheaper larger screen.

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'm a current Law student as well :p

Personally I would go for a 13" MBA + 27" monitor.

That is if like me you only need a machine for work purposes. That way you have a great portable machine to carry around campus and take notes with, but when you need to get some serious work done you can just hook it up to the monitor and get on with it.

Quite often when I'm doing an essay, I'll need to look up a case or read through an online journal. Having both windows open comfortably is a major plus. Doing the same thing on my MacBook Pro would do my head in.

16. ibd macrumors member

To add a 3rd option: go for an iPad. It will be plenty for lecture documents and note taking. You will love to be able to take it everywhere with so little weight. If you really want to get into the apple ecosystem, get an additional iMac or mac mini.
    Best of luck with your studies,
    Ibd.

Edit: source for my advice: I'm an engineering student, we require a lot of cpu power for simulations etc. Even here I see many, many guys using an iPad.

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I do see quite a lot people with Ipads, but that will mostly work for note taking, I have an Ipad and external keyboard too but didn't convinced me so opted for the laptop. Your decision!

18. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

A lawyer that doesn't know the difference between your and you're. Do they let anyone into law school nowadays?

19. harry454 macrumors 6502

Yeah for sure man. They let everyone in these days :). Its a forum... do you honestly think I am going to proof read a post? Got better things to do with my time.

20. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Maybe I was a bit harsh. But you set yourself up for that one!!!

21. Kizzaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you so much guys! I think I'll get the 15" Retina Macbook Pro and maybe an iPad (If I can afford it). I was keen on the air, but the 15" is only 700 grams heavier, and won't limit me by any means. Thanks for the advice. :) I also looked at the 13" RMBP, but the GPU struggles with the pixels... :eek:

22. ethereal45 macrumors regular

I have the 15" retina for med school, it's pretty great. I know a few law school also with the 15 and they love it as well. Coming from my 13" macbook the size took a while to adjust to, but there's no going back.

If you think an extra 2 inches and a pound or two is going to dramatically alter your ability to carry around a computer, you're nuts.

23. Azadre macrumors 6502

It's a waste for med school, and it'd be a waste for law school. Either way you'd be better saving that money to pay back your loans.

Get a refurbished MBP

24. Kizzaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, ethereal45! You've just reinforced my plan. :)

Azadre, I like my pixels, a normal macbook pro is not suffice. I'm builting up 50k debt anyway, i'm sure that little more to facilitate my learning is worth it. :p

25. ethereal45 macrumors regular

I go to a school with an entirely paperless curriculum, so I do a ton PDF document reading. I watch videos on the computer all the time, and the ability to have the video up along with a word document taking notes is great (I crank the resolution way up when I do this).

Do people get by with non-retina macs? Sure, but that doesn't mean it's a waste.